SYLTHERM XLT heat transfer fluid

In summary, the Syltherm xlt heat transfer fluid has excellent heat transfer due to convection currents.
petercl14
TL;DR Summary
syltherm xlt heat transfer by convection or conduction.
Hi, cannot get a definite answer anywhere on how heat transfer occurs with this fluid. All that the manufacturer gives is "excellent heat transfer". Water has excellent heat transfer due to convection currents. Need to know if this fluid also heats by convection rather than conduction. Conduction can be a very slow process. Viscosity of this fluid close to water which may be a good indication that it heats by convection.
Cannot test because I cannot get a small sample of 4 LITRES. Manufacturer will only supply a barrel for $1900.
Does anyone know on this forum? Have tried the manufacturer but they don't seem to know the difference between convection and conduction. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
petercl14 said:
Summary: syltherm xlt heat transfer by convection or conduction.

Hi, cannot get a definite answer anywhere on how heat transfer occurs with this fluid. All that the manufacturer gives is "excellent heat transfer". Water has excellent heat transfer due to convection currents. Need to know if this fluid also heats by convection rather than conduction. Conduction can be a very slow process. Viscosity of this fluid close to water which may be a good indication that it heats by convection.
Cannot test because I cannot get a small sample of 4 LITRES. Manufacturer will only supply a barrel for $1900.
Does anyone know on this forum? Have tried the manufacturer but they don't seem to know the difference between convection and conduction. Thanks.
It's all in the datasheet. Amazing what you can find with google.
https://www.dow.com/documents/en-us...01468-01-syltherm-xlt-heat-transfer-fluid.pdf

BTW, discounting metals, I think all liquids move heat better by physical transport (convection, or turbulent flow) than conduction. The big thermal gradient at the surface when a new, cold, molecule pushes out the older hotter one is a big advantage. Plus, in my limited experience, they are all crappy conductors.

I must disagree Dave. Have previously used another heat transfer oil. Had a heater element in the base, tank was 1 foot deep. Very little increase in temperature of oil at surface while at the base getting very hot. Would have burnt out element if I hadn't turned off the power. Typical example of heat by conduction.
Another example Dave. Oil filled column heaters. They take over an hour to heat up. If heating by convection this would be minutes to heat up. For instance if they were filled with water they would only take minutes to heat up. These heaters were tested by Choice magazine.
The reference you have given just says excellent heat transfer. It doesn't say what kind of heat transfer it is, convection or conduction. The difference determines if the liquid takes minutes or hours to heat up.

There's no magic here; all fluids transfer heat by convection and conduction. The more viscous, the less convection. What dominates/matters depends on the application.

Likes jrmichler
petercl14 said:
I must disagree Dave. Have previously used another heat transfer oil. Had a heater element in the base, tank was 1 foot deep. Very little increase in temperature of oil at surface while at the base getting very hot. Would have burnt out element if I hadn't turned off the power. Typical example of heat by conduction.
Another example Dave. Oil filled column heaters. They take over an hour to heat up. If heating by convection this would be minutes to heat up. For instance if they were filled with water they would only take minutes to heat up. These heaters were tested by Choice magazine.
I think you misunderstood, that was exactly my point. For liquids to move heat effectively the molecules have to move, they typically have high thermal resistivity. If you stirred that tank the temperature gradient would have been much smaller.

Likes russ_watters
petercl14 said:
The reference you have given just says excellent heat transfer. It doesn't say what kind of heat transfer it is, convection or conduction. The difference determines if the liquid takes minutes or hours to heat up.
Did you look at page two? They give you about as much data about their material as they can.

1664764875972.png

What they can't do is tell you how your system will work. Convection depends on the details of your application. That part is your problem, not theirs.

Likes russ_watters and jrmichler
Can't stir the tank in a closed system as in oil filled column heaters. I guess you could shake the oil filed column heater if you were a weight lifter for faster heating. Viscosity means the ease of pouring as with water. The lower the viscosity the easier it is to pour. Convection has nothing to do with the details of the application. It depends on the liquid. Water probably the best of all liquids for convection.

OK, I'm done here. I hope you find the answers you seek.

What is SYLTHERM XLT heat transfer fluid?

SYLTHERM XLT is a synthetic heat transfer fluid designed for use in high temperature applications. It is a non-toxic, non-corrosive, and thermally stable fluid that can withstand temperatures up to 650°F (343°C).

What are the benefits of using SYLTHERM XLT heat transfer fluid?

SYLTHERM XLT offers several benefits, including excellent thermal stability, low viscosity, and high thermal conductivity. It also has a long fluid life and can help reduce maintenance and downtime costs.

Can SYLTHERM XLT be used in all types of heat transfer systems?

SYLTHERM XLT is compatible with most common materials of construction, including steel, copper, and plastics. However, it is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's guidelines before use.

How does SYLTHERM XLT compare to other heat transfer fluids?

Compared to other heat transfer fluids, SYLTHERM XLT offers a higher maximum operating temperature and better thermal stability. It also has a lower viscosity, which can help improve heat transfer efficiency.

Is SYLTHERM XLT safe to use?

Yes, SYLTHERM XLT is a non-toxic and non-corrosive fluid, making it safe for use in industrial applications. However, as with any chemical, it is important to follow proper handling and safety precautions.