Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbolic Integration

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    I would like to solve an equation:
    NIntegrate[f[x],{x,a,b}]==1
    For a and b, my function doesn't have analytic solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. Are you trying to solve for a and b so that ##\int_a^b f(x)dx = 1##?

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    Yes Mark, I want to find all the points a and b so that the integral takes the value 1 or another.

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4

Mark44

I doubt very much that this is possible. For a given function f, there could be an infinite number of (a, b) pairs of numbers for which ##\int_a^b f(x)dx = 1##.

6. Oct 15, 2014 #5
    I have some constrictions both a and b must be positive and they are in some range.

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6

Mark44

I still think you're out of luck. As far as I know, NIntegrate is not implemented to do what you want it to do.

8. Oct 16, 2014 #7
    If all the code needed to define your f and describe your conditions on a and b is fairly small and the text of that code can be pasted into a message then someone might scrape that code, paste it into Mathematica and spend a little time seeing what they could do with it. If you can provide any more information about what you want to do with the answer or what form you need the result in then that might help increase your chances of getting something worthwhile in return. Screen captures or incomplete descriptions almost certainly won't get anything useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook