1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbolic Logic

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Do you know of any good introductory books on Symbolic Logic? Any free books I can download?
    I was going to take this next semester, but the time is not a good time so I wanted to learn it on my own at least for now.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2
    Irving M. Copi and Carl Cohen, Intro*duction to Logic is the best to my knowledge. If you're planning to take the class sometime in the future, figure out what text your college uses and just get that. If you're looking for something cheap and easy (you can learn basic skills very quickly), Harry Gensler, Introduction to Logic will give you enough logical skills to improve your philosophic writing. Its not rigorous though. I don't know anything about online texts.
  4. Nov 21, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Pardon my laziness: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=607609&postcount=14

I recommend that you browse around the websites linked to above, check out a few books (e.g. Copi & Cohen) from your library, and get a copy of Hodges' book. You can find the first edition used until the new edition is released on December 27th. Hodges includes explanations to every single problem and is an amazing teacher, so he's ideal for self-study. Best wishes.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?