1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbolic Methodology

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1

Equation1:
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} (x^n) = \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{d}{dx} (x^n) \right] [/tex]

The LHS for Equation1 is the symbolic condensed version for the RHS, however, what is the LHS symbolic condensed version for Equation2 RHS?

Equation2:
    [tex]\text{???} = \int \left[ \int \left( x^n dx \right) \right] \; dx[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2005 #2
    [tex]\int dx \int \left( x^n dx \right)[/tex]

4. Aug 6, 2005 #3

Interesting, I have never seen that version before. I was expecting something as:
    [tex]\int \int x^n dx dx = \int \left[ \int \left( x^n dx \right) \right] \; dx[/tex]

However, what if I wanted to demonstrate an equation that must be integrated 10 times or even 100 times? Surely there must be a shorthand version?

5. Aug 6, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's somewhat rare to see iterated indefinite integrals: generally you would specify bounds, even if it's something like:

[tex]
    \int_0^x \int_0^t f(s) \, ds \, dt
    [/tex]

I've often seen high dimensional integrals written something like:

[tex]
    \iint \cdots \int f(x_1, \ldots \, x_n) \, dx_1 \, dx_2 \, \cdots \, dx_n
    [/tex]

with some additional text indicating the region of integration... or instead written as a single integral whose dummy variable ranges over a high-dimensional space.

Another option, which I suspect is the best one for you, is to define an integral operator. For example, you could define the operator I via:

[tex](If)(x) := \int_0^x f(t) \, dt[/tex]

and then you could indicate an iterated integral by [itex]I^nf[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  6. Aug 6, 2005 #5
    You can write [tex]D^{-2}f(x)[/tex] and/or [tex]D^{-2}(x^n)[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?