Solve Air Volume Increase for Spherical Balloon with Radius r

• Thread starter DeltaBoy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a function that represents the amount of air required to inflate a spherical balloon from a radius of r inches to a radius of r + 1 inches. The solution is A(r) = (4/3)pi(r+1)^3 and the clarification was made that this represents the difference in air required.
DeltaBoy
Hi guys, can you help me out with a homework question. I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Question state:

A spherical balloon with radius r inches has volume V(r) = (4/3)r3. Find a function that represents the amount of air A required to inflate the balloon from a radius of r inches to a radius of r + 1 inches.

Don't I just replace (r) with (r+1).. ?

The Attempt at a Solution

A(r)= (4/3)pi(r+1)^3 ??

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the amount of air required to inflate a balloon of radius r+1. You want a *difference*.

ahh got it :) thank you genneth...

1. How does the radius of a spherical balloon affect its air volume?

The air volume of a spherical balloon is directly proportional to the cube of its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the air volume also increases at a much faster rate.

2. What is the formula for calculating the air volume of a spherical balloon with radius r?

The formula for calculating the air volume of a spherical balloon is V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the air volume and r is the radius of the balloon.

3. How do I solve for the air volume if the radius of the spherical balloon is given in inches?

To solve for the air volume, you will need to convert the radius from inches to meters. Then, you can use the formula V = (4/3)πr^3 to calculate the air volume in cubic meters.

4. Is there a maximum air volume that a spherical balloon can hold?

Yes, there is a maximum air volume that a spherical balloon can hold. This is determined by the material and strength of the balloon, as well as the surrounding air pressure.

5. Can the air volume of a spherical balloon be increased by adding more air?

Yes, the air volume of a spherical balloon can be increased by adding more air. However, there is a limit to how much air can be added before the balloon bursts due to the pressure of the air inside.