1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbols of circuit elements

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wanted to ask why the symbols of capacitor , resistor and inductor is such which they have..?? Why are we denoting capacitor by 2 parallel plates why not 2 zig-zag plates..and same for inductor??

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As much I got , resistor has such symbol as it acts as a barrir to flow of electrons..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The simplest capacitor would be two parallel plates at a fixed distance from each other, so the || symbol makes more sense than two zigzag shapes. An inductor is essentially a coil of wire, so the symbol for an inductor captures that idea. I'm not sure why they chose a sawtooth symbol for resistors, although its rough shape does suggest an obstacle.

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The ISO/European and US symbols for a resistor are different. The US uses the "zigzag" symbol. The ISO/European symbol is a rectangular box.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted