• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Symbols of circuit elements

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ranju
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I wanted to ask why the symbols of capacitor , resistor and inductor is such which they have..?? Why are we denoting capacitor by 2 parallel plates why not 2 zig-zag plates..and same for inductor??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As much I got , resistor has such symbol as it acts as a barrir to flow of electrons..

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

I wanted to ask why the symbols of capacitor , resistor and inductor is such which they have..?? Why are we denoting capacitor by 2 parallel plates why not 2 zig-zag plates..and same for inductor??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As much I got , resistor has such symbol as it acts as a barrir to flow of electrons..
The simplest capacitor would be two parallel plates at a fixed distance from each other, so the || symbol makes more sense than two zigzag shapes. An inductor is essentially a coil of wire, so the symbol for an inductor captures that idea. I'm not sure why they chose a sawtooth symbol for resistors, although its rough shape does suggest an obstacle.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The ISO/European and US symbols for a resistor are different. The US uses the "zigzag" symbol. The ISO/European symbol is a rectangular box.