Where Can I Find Symbols and Special Characters on PF's Toolbar?

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, LaTeX is a formatting language used for mathematics and other scientific documents. It can be triggered by different formats on different websites.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
¼⅓⅜½¾
Someone made a posting recently about symbols. I see a tool button 'square root of x' and that reveals several oddball characters and some symbols. There were in the past, other kinds which are not there in that tool now. They allowed for some typesetting, but now I guess we are expected to learn some LaTeX.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you see? (and yes, Latex is good to learn) :smile:

1591825815466.png

What drives me crazy is there's so many places online to find the syntax of LaTeX, but never the format for triggering its display.

On some fora, it's [ TEX ] and on others it's [LaTeX], or what have you. I can never find the page on a specific forum that tells me.

1591833572277.png

The first word you see is your greatest strength!
(Sorry I thought this was Facebook)

• Haha
Likes Ibix and berkeman
berkeman said:
Is this what you see? (and yes, Latex is good to learn) :smile:
Yes that's what I see. The toolbar does not have any labels but it does allow for a mouse-over caption label.

DaveC426913 said:
What drives me crazy is there's so many places online to find the syntax of LaTeX, but never the format for triggering its display.

On some fora, it's [ TEX ] and on others it's [LaTeX], or what have you. I can never find the page on a specific forum that tells me.
The format for triggering MathJax (the ##\LaTeX## renderer for websites) is different on different websites. In PF, we use ## for inline ##\LaTeX## and $$ for paragraph-style ##\LaTeX##. In Stack Exchange, they use $ for inline and $$ for paragraph-style. Quora probably uses [math]...[/math] BB codes. Don't know about other websites.

Likes berkeman
Wrichik Basu said:
The format for triggering MathJax (the ##\LaTeX## renderer for websites) is different on different websites. In PF, we use ## for inline ##\LaTeX## and $$ for paragraph-style ##\LaTeX##. In Stack Exchange, they use $ for inline and $$ for paragraph-style. Quora probably uses [math]...[/math] BB codes. Don't know about other websites.
There is [math] here, but I don't think anyone uses it. It was converted to the shorter delimiters by the forum (wasn't there [imath] as well?), but it looks like this function broke at some point and no one noticed:
[math]a^2[/math] -> \(\displaystyle a^2\)
DaveC426913 said:
View attachment 264455
The first word you see is your greatest strength!
(Sorry I thought this was Facebook)
I found "PATTERNRECOGNITION"

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
Wrichik Basu said:
The format for triggering MathJax (the ##\LaTeX## renderer for websites) is different on different websites. In PF, we use ## for inline ##\LaTeX## and $$ for paragraph-style ##\LaTeX##.
Something I will instantly forget.
Moreso, I will instantly forget where to look on PF to find that info.

DaveC426913 said:
Something I will instantly forget.
Moreso, I will instantly forget where to look on PF to find that info.
Nah, we got you covered. Look in the lower left corner of the Edit window below. One click away! :smile:

1591885329739.png

• Love
Likes DaveC426913 and Wrichik Basu

1. Where can I find the symbols and special characters on PF's toolbar?

The symbols and special characters can be found on the toolbar of the software you are using. It is usually located at the top of the screen or under the "Insert" or "Edit" menu.

2. How do I access the symbols and special characters on PF's toolbar?

To access the symbols and special characters, click on the "Insert" or "Edit" menu and select "Symbols" or "Special Characters." A window or menu will appear with a list of available symbols and characters.

3. Can I customize the symbols and special characters on PF's toolbar?

Yes, you can customize the symbols and special characters on the toolbar by adding or removing them according to your preference. This can usually be done by going to the "Insert" or "Edit" menu and selecting "Customize Toolbar."

4. How do I insert symbols and special characters into my document using PF's toolbar?

To insert a symbol or special character into your document, first select the location where you want to insert it. Then, click on the symbol or character from the toolbar or use the keyboard shortcut provided. The symbol or character will then appear in your document.

5. What should I do if I can't find a specific symbol or special character on PF's toolbar?

If you can't find a specific symbol or special character on the toolbar, you can try using the "Search" function to locate it. If it is still not available, you can copy and paste the symbol or character from another source, such as a website or another document.