Symmetric Bilinear: What a Drag

In summary, the conversation discusses the function ##\psi \left(x\right) = f \left(x\right)\theta \left[g\left(x\right)\right] - g\left(x\right)\theta\left[f\left(x\right)\right]## and its properties. It is shown that the function satisfies the parallelogram property and the relation ##\psi\left(\lambda x\right)=\lambda ^{2}\psi\left(x\right)##. The relation can be thought of as a standard norm property, making it easier to prove the rest of the properties.
Tenshou
I am having problems showing the following:

##f## and ##g## are two linearly independent functions in ##E## and ##\theta : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## is an additive map such that ##\theta(\mu \nu) = \theta(\mu)\nu +\mu \theta(\nu); \mu,\nu \in \mathbb{R}##. Show that the function;

##\psi \left(x\right)## ##=## ##f \left(x\right)\theta \left[g\left(x\right)\right]## ##-g\left(x\right)\theta\left[f\left(x\right)\right]##

satisfies the parallelogram property and the relation ##\psi\left(\lambda x\right)=\lambda ^{2}\psi\left(x\right)##.

Okay, so, I don't know where to start; I understand that I can begin to look at the picture of the parallelogram id. and show the similarities, like when the minus sign comes from. If you picture the two functions as vectors you can see that the minus sign comes from the direction in which the ##g## vector in directed
Parallelogram_law.PNG
and the same with ##f##, but after this, I cannot "show" it satisfies the second property.

PS: Think of ##\psi\left(x\right)## as being the inner product of ##x## with itself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Tenshou.

The relation looks like its a standard norm property (i.e. a quadratic form). Is that useful for you? (If you can show its a quadratic form or a norm like object the rest should follow).

Thanks Chiro that actually seems like it will help.

What is symmetric bilinear?

Symmetric bilinear refers to a mathematical property in which a function or operation is unchanged when its inputs are swapped in order. In other words, if the inputs are reversed, the output remains the same.

What is an example of a symmetric bilinear function?

An example of a symmetric bilinear function is the dot product in linear algebra. If we have two vectors, A and B, the dot product of A and B is the same as the dot product of B and A.

What is the importance of symmetric bilinear functions?

Symmetric bilinear functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They allow for simplification of calculations and provide insight into the symmetry and structure of a system.

What is meant by "What a Drag" in the context of symmetric bilinear?

"What a Drag" is a colloquial expression used to convey annoyance or frustration. In the context of symmetric bilinear, it may refer to the fact that certain calculations or proofs involving symmetric bilinear functions can be tedious or cumbersome.

How is symmetric bilinear related to other mathematical concepts?

Symmetric bilinear is closely related to other concepts such as symmetry, linearity, and bilinearity. It is also connected to topics in linear algebra, abstract algebra, and functional analysis.