Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Symmetric Equation

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question is how do you use the symmetric equation. For instance I have a question that states: A line L has parametric equations x=4+3t, y=3+4t, z=9-4t. Determine whether or not the points given lie on the line L.
    points (17, 14, -9).

2. Relevant equations
    I know that I could set up a symmetric equation like this:
    x-4/3= y-3/4= z-9/-4

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I plug in the points and if they are all equaled to one another does it mean they lay on the line L?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Your equations are wrong. x-4/3 = (4-3t)-4/3=4-4/3-3t=8/3-3t, and y-3/4 = (3+4t)-3/4=3-3/4 -4t = 9/4+4t. They are not identical!

If you have addition/subtraction and multiplication/division in a formula, you have to evaluate the multiplication/division first, then the addition/multiplication. You can not spare the parentheses. If there is an expression in parenthesis, evaluate that expression first.

So the correct equations are: t=(x-4)/3=(y-3)/4=(9-z)/4
    Now you can plug in the given x,y,z values and see if all equations are true.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook