1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric Equation

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question is how do you use the symmetric equation. For instance I have a question that states: A line L has parametric equations x=4+3t, y=3+4t, z=9-4t. Determine whether or not the points given lie on the line L.
    points (17, 14, -9).

2. Relevant equations
    I know that I could set up a symmetric equation like this:
    x-4/3= y-3/4= z-9/-4

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I plug in the points and if they are all equaled to one another does it mean they lay on the line L?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equations are wrong. x-4/3 = (4-3t)-4/3=4-4/3-3t=8/3-3t, and y-3/4 = (3+4t)-3/4=3-3/4 -4t = 9/4+4t. They are not identical!

If you have addition/subtraction and multiplication/division in a formula, you have to evaluate the multiplication/division first, then the addition/multiplication. You can not spare the parentheses. If there is an expression in parenthesis, evaluate that expression first.

So the correct equations are: t=(x-4)/3=(y-3)/4=(9-z)/4
    Now you can plug in the given x,y,z values and see if all equations are true.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook