1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric Matrice Proof

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose H is an n by n real symmetric matrix. v is a real column n-vector and H^(k+1)v = 0. Prove that Hv = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Since H is a real symmetric matrice we can find an orthogonal matrix Q to diagnolize it:

M = Q transpose.

MA^(k+1)Qv = 0

A^(k+1)Qv = 0

This is where I'm stuck i'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm pretty sure its not possible to somehow get Q remove from the equation because that implies v or A would have to be 0 but this does not follow since I can easily cook up an example were there is a symmetric matrix to a power were H^(K+1)v=0 and v != 0. Thus any hints would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you work in the basis where H is diagonal then replace the phrase "n by n real symmetric matrix" in your premise with "n by n DIAGONAL matrix". Can you prove that one?
  4. Sep 10, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Assume v is not zero. Then, since Q is invertible, Qv is not zero. So Qv must be in the nullspace of A^(k+1). What is the null space of a diagonal matrix, and how is this related to the nullspace of its powers?
  5. Sep 11, 2007 #4
    That was the proof shown in class where you chose to represent the matrix using a basis consisting of eigen vectors, though I didnt start my proof that way and I believe that the diagonalization method should work if I could finish the last step.

Statusx: It would imply that Qv is in the nullspace of A itself since A^(k+1) simply exponentiates each entry by k+1 (diagonal matrice), though I'm unsure how that shows Av = 0.

You would get AQv = 0

Transpose of Qv (easier as a row vector when typing) would be something along the lines:

[0,0,0,....,a_i,.....,0] where a_i can by any real number corresponding to a 0 in the diagonal entry a_ii in the diagonal matrice A.
  6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Right, and so MAQv = Hv = 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?