Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric matrices help please!

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    symmetric matrices.... help please!

hi can someone tell me...how to correctly use the 10 axioms..
    for example: does the set of all 3x3 symmetric matrices form a subspace of a 3x3 matrices under the normal operations of matrix addition and multiplication?
    I don't really get how to prove this..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: symmetric matrices.... help please!

The only things you need to prove are that the set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. Suppose
    [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\b & d & e \\c & e & f\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]B= \begin{bmatrix} u & v & w \\ v & x & y \\w & y & z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    two symmetric matrices. Is A+ B symmetric? Is [itex]\alpha A[/itex] symmetric for any number [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3

I thought a subspace had to also contain the zero vector (not empty), or am I remembering that wrong?

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, yes. Thanks for the correction. I should have included that- but the 0 matrix is rather trivially symmetric isn't it?

My point is that you do NOT have to prove all "10 axioms". Given a subset of a vector space, things such as "u+ v= v+ u" follow from the fact that they are true of the entire vector space and so true for any subset.

To prove that "U is a subspace of vector space V" you need to prove:
    1) U is closed under vector addition.
    2) U is closed under scalar multiplication.
    and the one I forgot:
    3) U is non-empty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook