1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric matrices

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Give an example of a 2X2 symmetric matrix B that cannot be written as B = ATA. Give an explanation as to why no such A exists for the matrix B you have given.

I know that the product ATA is a symmetric matrix, but how could there be no such A that exists for some matrix B?

I'm really stuck on this problem, and I would appreciate it if anyone could help. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the nature of the eigenvalues of ATA?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you write

[tex]A=\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\ c&d\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and calculate ATA, it's immediately obvious that the result is not the most general form of a symmetric 2×2 matrix. No more calculations are necessary. Just stare at the result until you get it.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    1 2
    2 3

I did out the product of ATA and came up with this matrix B that couldn't be written as such. Am I correct?

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    You are correct about the above matrix. Try to figure out why (hint: determinants).
    What do you think about the following matrix:
    [tex]
    A=\begin{pmatrix}1&10\\ 10&-1\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Determinants are quite the right answer, either. Both the identity matrix and its additive inverse,

[tex]\bmatrix -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\endbmatrix[/tex]

have the same determinant. The identity matrix can obviously be written in the form ATA. Its additive inverse cannot.

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The OP's task was just to find an example of a symmetric matrix that can't be expressed as ATA, and noting that det ATA≥0 is certainly a good start. It explains why

1 2
    2 3

is the kind of matrix we're looking for. My idea was to note that the elements on the diagonal of ATA are ≥0. That explains both

1 10
    10 -1

and

-1 0
    0 -1

Not sure if there are symmetric matrices with both the determinant and the diagonal elements ≥0 that cant be written as ATA. I'm too tired to think about that right now.

9. Dec 12, 2008 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can get away with looking at the determinant and the diagonal elements for a 2x2. That trick won't work for anything larger than 2x2. What always works is to look at the eigenvalues, like I said in post #2. Given a real nxm matrix A, the eigenvalues of the matrix ATA are always non-negative. If any eigenvalue of some matrix B is negative then it is impossible to write B in the form ATA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?