Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric matrices

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Give an example of a 2X2 symmetric matrix B that cannot be written as B = ATA. Give an explanation as to why no such A exists for the matrix B you have given.

I know that the product ATA is a symmetric matrix, but how could there be no such A that exists for some matrix B?

I'm really stuck on this problem, and I would appreciate it if anyone could help. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the nature of the eigenvalues of ATA?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you write

[tex]A=\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\ c&d\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and calculate ATA, it's immediately obvious that the result is not the most general form of a symmetric 2×2 matrix. No more calculations are necessary. Just stare at the result until you get it.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    1 2
    2 3

I did out the product of ATA and came up with this matrix B that couldn't be written as such. Am I correct?

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    You are correct about the above matrix. Try to figure out why (hint: determinants).
    What do you think about the following matrix:
    [tex]
    A=\begin{pmatrix}1&10\\ 10&-1\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Determinants are quite the right answer, either. Both the identity matrix and its additive inverse,

[tex]\bmatrix -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\endbmatrix[/tex]

have the same determinant. The identity matrix can obviously be written in the form ATA. Its additive inverse cannot.

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The OP's task was just to find an example of a symmetric matrix that can't be expressed as ATA, and noting that det ATA≥0 is certainly a good start. It explains why

1 2
    2 3

is the kind of matrix we're looking for. My idea was to note that the elements on the diagonal of ATA are ≥0. That explains both

1 10
    10 -1

and

-1 0
    0 -1

Not sure if there are symmetric matrices with both the determinant and the diagonal elements ≥0 that cant be written as ATA. I'm too tired to think about that right now.

9. Dec 12, 2008 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can get away with looking at the determinant and the diagonal elements for a 2x2. That trick won't work for anything larger than 2x2. What always works is to look at the eigenvalues, like I said in post #2. Given a real nxm matrix A, the eigenvalues of the matrix ATA are always non-negative. If any eigenvalue of some matrix B is negative then it is impossible to write B in the form ATA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?