What Other Symmetries Exist in Superfluids?

In summary: It also includes time translations and dilations.In summary, superfluids have a global U(1) symmetry as the simplest continuous symmetry, and also possess space-time symmetries such as Galilean symmetry. However, there are currently no other known symmetries in superfluids other than U(1).
Superfluid universe
I am reading "Introduction to superfluidity" by Andreas Schmitt. He mentions the global symmetry U(1). What other symmetries are there in superfluids?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I can add more information. For example, I've read that in superfluids there is a global U(1) symmetry. I was asking if there are other symmetries as well. :)

You can read the last section of Kardar's Statistical Physics of particles the 7.7 section that discusses the superfluid He^4.

I am not sure he says anything about the symmetries of this supefluid, but that's all that I read about superfluid.

Thank you, MathematicalPhysicist.

Another example : https://arxiv.org/pdf/1206.3906.pdf This article talks about global u(1) symmetry in superfluid neutron stars. It says that the goldstone mode for that symmetry breaking is a phonon. I was asking for other symmetries that exist in superfluids.

Thank you.

If you searched google for "symmetries of superfluids" and found that there's no mention of other symmetries then it might mean there are no currently known symmetries other than U(1).

Hello Mathematicalphysicist. In the book "Introduction to Superfluidity" by Andreas Schmitt, it was mentioned that U(1) was the simplest symmetry, which means there are other symmetries too. ( in my opinion)

https://books.google.bg/books?id=vtQlBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=introduction+to+superfluidity+simplest+symmetry&source=bl&ots=8e-6J1Ifn4&sig=KEovmOSYsVYIrJhU_5v31A2wE7k&hl=bg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-rKqU2ZbaAhVQyqYKHYS8BnUQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=introduction to superfluidity simplest symmetry&f=false

page 33 says 'U(1) is the simplest continuous symmetry given by one real parameter"

Superfluid universe said:
What other symmetries are there in superfluids?
It depends on what kind of superfluid you have in mind, but for typical ones which I assume you have in mind (described by the Gross-Pitaevskii equation) you also have space-time symmetry transformations, instead of the field transformations you have already mentioned (U1 gauge symmetry). For instance Galilean symmetry, which includes translations, rotations and boosts to reference frames moving with uniform velocity.

1. What are symmetries in superfluids?

Symmetries in superfluids refer to the ways in which the physical properties of a superfluid remain unchanged under certain transformations or operations.

2. How do symmetries impact the behavior of superfluids?

Symmetries play a crucial role in determining the behavior of superfluids, as they dictate the conservation laws and govern the formation of topological defects.

3. What are some examples of symmetries in superfluids?

Some examples of symmetries in superfluids include rotational symmetry, translational symmetry, and gauge symmetry.

4. How are symmetries in superfluids studied?

Symmetries in superfluids are studied through various experimental techniques, such as measuring the rotational inertia or flow patterns of the superfluid, as well as theoretical models and simulations.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding symmetries in superfluids?

Understanding symmetries in superfluids can lead to advancements in technologies such as superconductors, precision sensors, and quantum computing. It can also provide insights into fundamental concepts in physics, such as phase transitions and quantum mechanics.