Symmetries of graphs and roots of equations

In summary, the symmetries of a graph of a polynomial can be determined by looking for transformations that leave the graph invariant.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Is there a good way to relate the symmetries of the graphs of polynomials to the roots of equations?

There's lots of material on the web about teaching students how to determine if the graph of a function has a symmetry of some sort, but, aside from the task of drawing the graph, I don't find any convincing application of the symmetries.

Science news on Phys.org
What symmetries did you have in mind? The only one I can think of are where a polynomial function ##p:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## can be written as ##p(x)=q(x-a)+b## for some real ##a,b## and ##q## an odd or even polynomial function, where an 'odd' ('even') polynomial is one whose terms all have odd (even) powers. Hence the graph is a translation in two dimensions of the graph of an odd or even function.

Then if ##q## is even, or if ##q## is odd and ##b=0##, there is a bijection ##\theta## from the set of roots ##\geq a## to the set of roots ##\leq a## such that ##\theta(r)=2a-r##.

andrewkirk said:
What symmetries did you have in mind?
To start with, Euclidean transformations that bring the graph into coincidence with itself.

For the graph of a polynomial, are there any of those that are not covered by the above, which covers
  • all reflections in vertical lines (the case where ##q## is even and the axis of reflection is ##x=a##); and
  • rotation by 180 degrees around a point on the ##x## axis (the case where ##q## is odd and the centre of rotation is the point ##(a,0)##)?
It seems to me that any other Euclidean transformation of the graph of a polynomial (rotation, other than by 180 degrees around a point on the ##x## axis; reflection in a non-vertical line; translation) would not leave the graph invariant, although I may be missing something.

But I didn't mean to trivialise these symmetries by my use of the word 'only' in post 2. These are enough to be quite useful in finding additional roots of some polynomials.

1. What are symmetries of graphs and roots of equations?

Symmetries of graphs and roots of equations refer to the symmetrical properties of mathematical graphs and equations. These symmetries can provide insights into the behavior and solutions of the graph or equation.

2. How can symmetries of graphs and roots of equations be used in real-world applications?

Symmetries of graphs and roots of equations can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as analyzing patterns in data, predicting trends, and solving optimization problems.

3. Can symmetries of graphs and roots of equations be used to simplify complex equations?

Yes, symmetries of graphs and roots of equations can be used to simplify complex equations by identifying patterns and relationships between different parts of the equation. This can make it easier to find solutions and understand the behavior of the equation.

4. Are symmetries of graphs and roots of equations only applicable to mathematical equations?

No, symmetries of graphs and roots of equations can also be applied to other systems and structures, such as physical objects and biological systems. They can help identify symmetrical patterns and relationships in these systems.

5. How do symmetries of graphs and roots of equations relate to group theory?

Symmetries of graphs and roots of equations are closely related to group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of symmetries and transformations. Group theory is often used to analyze and classify the symmetries of graphs and equations.