Question: How do symmetries and time evolution interact in quantum mechanics?

In summary, in quantum mechanics, symmetry is introduced by stating that both states and observables undergo transformations in order to maintain mean values intact. This is similar to a change of coordinate system. However, when considering time evolution, only states or observables change. This is seen in the Heisenberg picture, where the time evolution of an operator is related to the commutator [H,O]. The time evolution operator U(t) can be derived from this equation, and in the Heisenberg picture, states are constant while observables change with time. On the other hand, symmetry transformations are unitary transformations T(a) generated by hermitian operators Ω. These transformations change both states and observables, but in a way that
giova7_89
My question is the following: when in quantum mechanics one introduces symmetry, says that a states and observables transform both, in order to mantain mean values intact (kind of like a change of coordinate system), i.e.:

[tex] |\psi>\rightarrow U|\psi> [/tex]

and

[tex] O\rightarrow UOU^\dagger [/tex]

while when one is concerned about time evolution, only states (Schrodinger picture) or observables (heisenberg picture) change?

The first thing to say is that if one doesnt' do that, mean values will never depend on time, which is rather strange..

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the Heisenberg picture.

What you find is an operator equation where the time evolution of an operator O is related to the commutator [H,O] via

[tex]\frac{dO}{dt} = i[H,O][/tex]

which corresponds to the classical Poisson bracket. From this operator equation of motion one derives the time evolution operator

[tex]U(t) = e^{-iHt}[/tex]

and the time evolution

[tex]O(t) = U^\dagger(t)\,O\,U(t)[/tex]

In the Heisenberg picture the states are constant, i.e. not subject to time evolution generated via U(t), i.e.

[tex]|\psi\rangle \stackrel{\text{time}}{\to} |\psi\rangle[/tex]

[tex]O \stackrel{\text{time}}{\to} O(t) = U^\dagger(t)\,O\,U(t)[/tex]

Calculating expectation values means

[tex]\langle O(t) \rangle_\psi = \langle\psi|O(t)|\psi\rangle = \langle\psi|U^\dagger(t)\,O\,U(t)|\psi\rangle[/tex]

What you are talking about are unitary transformations T(a) generated via hermitian operators Ω

[tex]T(a) = e^{-ia\Omega}[/tex]

But w.r.t. these unitary transformations T(a) both operators and states do change

[tex]|\psi\rangle \stackrel{\text{trf}}{\to} |\psi\rangle_a = T^\dagger(a)|\psi\rangle[/tex]

[tex]O(t) \stackrel{\text{trf}}{\to} O_a(t) = T^\dagger(a)\,O(t)\,T(a)[/tex]

which means that T(a) drops out from expectation values trivially.

Last edited:
Yes, I know these mathematics behind that, but my question is why do we do so? I mean, why one says the things you wrote in bold? Is it somehow related to active vs passive transformations?

The time evolution U is derived via the Heisenberg equstion of motion, the symmetry transformation T(a) are nothing else but a change of the basis vectors in Hilbert space. The only thing which relates them is the fact that both are unitary transformations.

But U(t) really does something, it transforms O and leaves the states invariant whereas T(a) essentially does nothing, it transforms O but this compensated by the change of the states.

1. What are symmetries in physics?

Symmetries in physics refer to the invariance of a physical system under certain transformations. This means that the system remains unchanged even after the transformation is applied. Symmetries play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

2. How do symmetries affect time evolution in physics?

Symmetries have a direct relation to time evolution in physics. In fact, the conservation laws in physics arise from the symmetries of a system. Symmetries dictate how a system evolves over time and can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the system.

3. Can symmetries be broken in time evolution?

Yes, symmetries can be broken in time evolution. This means that a system may not remain invariant under certain transformations as it evolves over time. This can happen due to external factors or interactions with other systems.

4. How do symmetries help us understand the fundamental laws of physics?

Symmetries provide a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental laws of physics. They allow us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of physical systems, and can reveal underlying patterns and relationships between different phenomena.

5. Are there different types of symmetries in physics?

Yes, there are various types of symmetries in physics, such as spatial symmetries, time symmetries, gauge symmetries, and discrete symmetries. Each type of symmetry has its own unique properties and implications for the behavior of physical systems.