Symmetry and models of Symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of grand unified theory and the various symmetries involved, including U(1) and SU(2). The speaker is looking for help in understanding the evolution and fundamentals of these symmetries. A layman suggests looking into gauge theory and provides a website that explains GUT and symmetry in a user-friendly way.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am quiet new to this subject. I am reading over grand unified theory and found that there are quiet a number of Symmetries, like U(1) and SU(2).....

Can anybody help me in finding all the types of symmetries and how it evolved and what are they basically are?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Look for 'gauge theory' in any good qft book, or just google it.

I'm a layman (sadly). I found a pretty neat site that may help you.

I'm wondering what the community thinks about this presentation. Its one of the best (I think) that I've found for dumb guys. :)

You can pan back and forth with "Forward" and "Back" buttons at the bottom of each lecture. GUT and symetry is explained:

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast123/lectures/lec23.html

1. What is symmetry?

Symmetry is a mathematical concept that refers to a balanced and harmonious arrangement of elements. It is often described as a sense of proportion and balance that is aesthetically pleasing. In science, symmetry can also refer to patterns and relationships that are repeated in nature and can be described through mathematical models.

2. How is symmetry used in science?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and geometry. It is used to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems and can provide insights into the underlying structure and organization of natural phenomena. Symmetry also helps scientists create models and theories to explain complex phenomena and make predictions about future observations.

3. What are some types of symmetry?

There are several types of symmetry, including reflection symmetry (also known as mirror symmetry), rotational symmetry, and translational symmetry. Reflection symmetry is characterized by a line or plane of symmetry that divides an object into two equal halves. Rotational symmetry occurs when an object can be rotated around a fixed point and still look the same. Translational symmetry is when an object can be translated or moved without changing its appearance.

4. How do scientists use models of symmetry?

Scientists use models of symmetry to represent and understand complex systems and phenomena. These models can be physical, such as a three-dimensional representation of a molecule, or mathematical, such as a graph or equation. By using symmetry, scientists can simplify and visualize complex concepts, make predictions, and test hypotheses.

5. What are some real-world examples of symmetry?

Symmetry can be found in many aspects of the natural world, from the structure of snowflakes and the patterns of flower petals to the movements of celestial bodies and the behavior of subatomic particles. In chemistry, the arrangement of atoms in a molecule often exhibits symmetry, which can affect its properties and reactivity. In physics, symmetry is a fundamental principle that helps explain the behavior of matter and energy.