Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry group 0j symbol

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

I read in Edmond's 'Angular momentum in Quantum Mechanics' that the symmetry group of the 9j symbol is isomorphic to the group [itex]S_3 \times S_3 \times S_2[/itex].

Why is this? Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Edmonds says,
    Likewise, the Wikipedia page on 9-j symbols describes it this way.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    I don't see the full picture, yet.

Labelling the rows [itex]r_1,r_2,r_3[/itex] and the columns [itex]c_1,c_2,c_3[/itex], it's easy to show that the subgroups of the row and column operations are both isomorphic to [itex]S_3[/itex]. Since any row permutation does not affect the order of the [itex]c_i[/itex], its an element of [itex]S_3 \times e[/itex] and any column permutation is in [itex]e \times S_3[/itex] in the same way.

So the subgroup of all symmetry operations not containing a transposition of the array is [itex]S_3 \times S_3[/itex]. But how do you take the transpositions into account?

I see that relevant subgroup is [itex]S_2[/itex], but I don't see exactly how you go from [itex]S_3 \times S_3[/itex] to [itex]S_3 \times S_3 \times S_2[/itex] by taking the transpositions into account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook