Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry group for roots

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    my question is , given the Group G of symmetries for the equation

[tex] x^{4} + a^{2}=0 [/tex]

for some 'a' Real valued i see this equation is invariant under the changes

[tex] x \rightarrow -x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow ix [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow -ix [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow -x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow i^{1/2}x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow (-i)^{1/2}x [/tex]

under this symmetries we can see that we ONLY can have imaginary roots, since from the symmetries above any complex number solution to [tex] x^{4} + a^{2}=0 [/tex] should have an argument [tex] 4\phi = 2\pi [/tex] this is deduced from the base that [tex] x^{4} + a^{2}[/tex] is a real function for real 'x' , of course this example is TRIVIAL to prove to be true , but how about a more important case, could we deduce from my idea that ALL the roots of the function [tex] x^{-1}sinh(x)=0 [/tex] are ALL imaginary numbers ?

given any Polynomial K(x) with the following properties

* K(x) have ONLY pure imaginary roots (A)

* degre of K(x) is a multiple of '4' (B)

could we proof by any REDUCIBILITY theorem (over Real numbers) that the irreducible factors of K(x) over the field R are or will be of the form (the best possible chance) [tex] x^{4} + (a_i)^{2} [/tex] for some a_i ??

Another question is are conditions (A) and (B) equivalent ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    A few places where you're not quite right:

1) This equation is not invariant under the transformations [tex]x \mapsto \pm i^{ \frac{1}{2} } x[/tex] since [tex]( \pm i^{\frac{1}{2}} x )^4 = i^2 x^4 = -x[/tex], not x.

2) Do you mean that x^4 + a^2 = 0 as only pure imaginary roots? Because that's not true for a = 2, so your two *-ed conditions are certainly not equivalent.

3) No, even under those assumptions the irreducible factors do not have to be of that form. Consider for example (x-i)^4, or if you want one that doesn't split, (x^2 + 1)^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook