Discovering Triangle Symmetry: Tips for Solving Angle and Side Length Problems

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a triangle ABC, where AB = AC and D is a point on AC such that AD = DB = BC. The question is to find the size of angle BAD and the angles of triangle ABC. The conversation suggests drawing out the triangle(s) and labeling the angles, as well as considering the properties of isosceles triangles. The solution involves finding a third isosceles triangle and labeling all equal angles to solve for the angles of triangle ABC.
Natasha1
Sorry I am not sure if I should put this thread here.. looks like I am going to be told off by the boss :frown:

Anyway, here is my question in a triangle ABC, AB = AC and D is a point on AC such that AD = DB = BC. Find the size of the angle BAD? Find the angles of triangle ABC?

Just need a few hints to get this problem started please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You triangle, ABC, involves three related/interdepandent similar triangles.

Draw out the triangle(s). Try doing it to scale (i.e. try making the triangles look similar).
Label the angles. It should fall out pretty easily.

I have ADB being isoceles where AD=DB but from there how do you mesure angle A? I know that A and B will be the same in that triangle but how do u get a value?

There are three isosceles triangles. ABC and ADB are two of them. You have to find the third one before you can solve for the angles.
One property of isosceles triangles is that, not only are two sides of equal length, but the angles oppposite them are also equal.
Label all the (equal) angles and it will fall out.

What is symmetry in a triangle?

Symmetry in a triangle refers to the balance and proportion of its angles and sides. A triangle is said to have symmetry when its angles and sides can be divided into two equal parts by a line or point.

How do I identify symmetry in a triangle?

To identify symmetry in a triangle, you can look for the following characteristics: equal angles, equal sides, and a line or point that divides the triangle into two equal parts. Additionally, if a triangle has a line of symmetry, its mirror image will be identical.

What are some tips for solving angle and side length problems in triangles?

Some tips for solving angle and side length problems in triangles include using the Pythagorean theorem, the properties of similar triangles, and the sum of interior angles in a triangle (180 degrees). It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label known angles and sides before attempting to solve the problem.

How can I prove that a triangle has symmetry?

A triangle can be proved to have symmetry by showing that it can be divided into two equal parts by a line or point. This can be done by using geometric constructions or by showing that the angles and sides are equal through mathematical calculations.

Why is symmetry important in triangles?

Symmetry is important in triangles because it helps us understand the relationship between angles and sides in a balanced and proportional way. It also allows us to make accurate measurements and predictions about the properties of triangles, which is essential in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and geometry.