Proving Angle Sums in Cyclic Polygons: A Generalization Approach

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the problem is proving that the sum of the interior angles at A, C, and E is equal to the sum of the interior angles at B, D, and F in a cyclic hexagon. The approach so far has been to label the angles and use a drawing to show that the sums are equal. However, this may not be a clear way of proving. It may be necessary to use angles, dimensions, and sides to further prove the theorem. This can also be generalized to other cyclic polygons using Theorem 2.
Natasha1
Right I have been given the following problem and cannot resolve it. I have had an attempt but without much success. Could anyone help me with this exercise, please?

A cyclic hexagon is a hexagon whose vertices all lie on the circumference of a circle.

The vertices of a cyclic hexagon are labelled in order A to F. Prove that the sum of the interior angles at A, C and E is equal to the sum of the interior angles at B, D and F.

Generalise (concisely) to other cyclic polygons?

My answer so far

I drew the hexagon and labelled angle A is formed of angles f and a, B of a and b, C, b and c, D of c and d, E of d and e and F of e and f.

And wrote from the drawing we can see that

a+f+b+c+e+d = a+f+b+c+e+d

But I don't think this is really a clear way of proving is it? Do I need to use angles dimensions and sides?

Where do I go from here basically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Theorem 2 from here.

1. What is symmetry?

Symmetry is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to an exact correspondence in shape, size, and position of objects or patterns on either side of a dividing line or plane.

2. How can symmetry be described?

Symmetry can be described in terms of reflection, rotation, translation, or a combination of these. Reflection symmetry involves a mirror image on either side of a line, rotation symmetry involves a repeated pattern around a central point, and translation symmetry involves a repeated pattern that shifts in a specific direction.

3. What are some examples of symmetry in nature?

Symmetry is prevalent in nature, and examples include butterfly wings, snowflakes, flowers, and even the human body. Many organisms exhibit bilateral symmetry, which means they can be divided into two identical halves along a vertical plane.

4. How is symmetry used in mathematics and science?

Symmetry is an important concept in mathematics and science and has many applications. In mathematics, symmetry is used to solve equations and understand patterns. In science, symmetry is used to describe the properties of objects and understand the laws of nature.

5. How can I identify and create symmetrical designs?

To identify symmetry, look for patterns that repeat themselves on either side of a line or plane. To create symmetrical designs, you can use tools such as rulers and protractors to ensure accuracy. You can also use symmetry to create balance and harmony in your designs.