Symmetry in Integrals: Peskin's Equation 6.43 & 6.44

In summary, the denominator of equation 6.43 is symmetric under x<-->y, but one of the terms in the denominator is y*q which does not have that symmetry.
physichu
In peskin p. 192, they says that the denominator (that is equation 6.43) is symmetric under x<--> y. Thay all so say that you can see it in equation 6.44.

But one of the terms in the denominetor is y*q which dose not have that symmetry!
Looking at (6.43) and removing the summetric parts leave me with
2yk⋅q +yq2.
Whitch is not x<-->y symmetric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your denominator is what he calls D, which is completely symmetric under x <-> y. He obtains that expression from D starting from 6.43 and changing the integration variable.

I don't see how :(
We have:

##\int\limits_0^1 {dxdydz\delta \left( {x + y + z - 1} \right){{2{q^\mu }m\left( {z - 2} \right)\left( {x - y} \right)} \over {\left[ {{k^2} + 2k \cdot \left( {yq - zp} \right) + y{q^2} + z{p^2} - \left( {x + y} \right){m^2} + i\varepsilon } \right]}}} ##.

Changing x<-->y gives:

##\int\limits_0^1 {dxdydz\delta \left( {x + y + z - 1} \right){{ - 2{q^\mu }m\left( {z - 2} \right)\left( {x - y} \right)} \over {\left[ {{k^2} + 2k \cdot \left( {\underline {xq} - zp} \right) + \underline {x{q^2}} + z{p^2} - \left( {x + y} \right){m^2} + i\varepsilon } \right]}}} ##

It's tempting to say that the integration region is summetric under x<-->y, so that the "x" instead of a "y" dosen't metter, but i found thise exemple:

##\int\limits_0^1 {dxdy \cdot x = } \int\limits_0^1 {dxdy \cdot y = {1 \over 2}} ##

and

##\int\limits_0^1 {\left( {x - y} \right)dxdy} = \int\limits_0^1 {\left( {y - x} \right)dxdy = 0} ##

But

##\int\limits_0^1 {dxdy\left( {x - y} \right)x} = \int\limits_0^1 {dxdy\left( {y - x} \right)y} = {1 \over {12}}##

I expected it to be zero as a multiplication of symmetric and anti symmetric factors but it turned out to be summetric.
What do i miss?

You first have to make the change of variables explained after eq. 6.43. After that you'll be able to explicitely see the symmetry

O.K. got that :)
than'x a lot :):):)

You're welcome!

1. What is the significance of symmetry in integrals?

Symmetry in integrals refers to the property of integrals where the value remains unchanged when certain variables are swapped or when the function is reflected across a given axis. This property allows for simplification of integrals and can provide useful insights into the behavior of functions.

2. What is Peskin's Equation 6.43 and 6.44?

Peskin's Equation 6.43 and 6.44 are two equations derived by physicist Michael Peskin in his book, "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory." These equations describe the symmetry properties of integrals and can be used to simplify complex integrals in quantum field theory calculations.

3. How do Peskin's Equations 6.43 and 6.44 relate to symmetry in integrals?

Peskin's Equations 6.43 and 6.44 provide a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetry properties of integrals. They can be used to identify which integrals have certain symmetry properties and how to utilize those properties to simplify the integration process.

4. Can Peskin's Equations be applied to all types of integrals?

Yes, Peskin's Equations can be applied to all types of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, they are most commonly used in the context of quantum field theory calculations.

5. What are some practical applications of Peskin's Equations in physics?

Peskin's Equations have various practical applications in physics, particularly in quantum field theory. They can be used to simplify complex integrals in calculations related to particle interactions, quantum electrodynamics, and other areas of theoretical physics. They are also used in the study of symmetries and conservation laws in physical systems.