1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry of a circle proof

1. Dec 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to prove that the circle is symmetrical by showing that x² + y² = a² holds when the circle rotates.

I know that this is proved given the following two formulae:
    x = x'cosθ - y'sinθ
    y = x'sinθ + y'cosθ

but I don't know where those two equations have come from based on my diagram. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Drop a perpendicular from where the x' axis cuts the circle to the x-axis and another perp from where the y' axis cuts the circle to the y-axis. Use some properties of similar triangles and right angled triangles.

4. Dec 22, 2007 #3
    I've got the x'cosθ part of the expression for x, but I just cannot see how the -y'sinθ is found...

[​IMG]

5. Dec 22, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

My mistake for giving a hasty answer. Sorry.

Take a point P:(x,y) in the x-y system. Now draw x' and y' axes, rotated by some theta. If you drop perps from P on the x-axis and the x' axis, the first perp cuts the x-axis at a dist x from O and the 2nd perp cuts the x'-axis at a dist x' from O. Now, find x in terms of x' and y', using elementary geometry.

6. Dec 22, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just out of curiosity, why was this posted under "Introductory Physics"?

7. Dec 22, 2007 #6
    OK, i think I'm almost there,

I have the x'cosθ term, and I know I need to minus the purple section, which I trust is y'sinθ -- but I can't seem to show that it is, lol, it's the last stumbling block

[​IMG]

8. Dec 22, 2007 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

(HallsofIvy has asked you a question. I am also curious.)

Have you drawn the diagram as I said in my 2nd post? You can show us, if possible.

9. Dec 22, 2007 #8

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

EDIT: ignore

10. Dec 23, 2007 #9

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Hi raintrek,

I'm not able to see the pictures you posted initially. Have you removed them, or is something wrong with my browser settings? Please answer asap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?