Symmetry of Odd-Degree Polynomials: Conditions for Symmetry in the Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a polynomial function of odd degree to be symmetric to a point in the plane. It is noted that there are conditions for symmetry around both a point on the x-axis and a point on the y-axis, and that these conditions can be combined. The final conclusion is that the condition for symmetry is -f(b-x) + a = f(b+x) - a.
littleHilbert
Hi! Brief question:

I wonder which conditions should a polynomial function of odd degree fulfill in order to be symmetric to some point in the plane.
Are there such conditions?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Of course there are! It's merely horizontal and vertical translations of the ordinary condition for an odd function, which is symmetric about (0,0).

For symmetry around (0,a) a function must satisfy:

[tex] a - f(x) = f(-x) - a[/tex]

For symmetry around (b,0), [tex] f(b+x) = - f(b-x)[/tex].

Perhaps you can combine these conditions?

Ok the combination is clear:
[tex]-f(b-x)+a=f(b+x)-a[/tex]

Thank you! :-)

Last edited:
littleHilbert said:
you meant [tex]a + f(x) = - f(-x) - a[/tex], didn't you?
because it must be equivalent to [tex]a + f(x) + a - f(x) = 0 [/tex]

Now that you bring it up, I am not sure what I meant lol. Its something like that, though I am sure its NOT equivalent to the condition a=0 lol.

Oh sorry I've realized that everything is ok at the very moment you've sent your post...and deleted the thing!

No problem =]

1. What is the definition of symmetry of polynomials?

The symmetry of polynomials refers to the property of a polynomial function where its graph remains unchanged when rotated or reflected along a certain axis.

2. How can I determine if a polynomial is symmetric?

A polynomial is symmetric if it satisfies the condition f(x) = f(-x). This means that if you replace x with -x in the polynomial, it should result in the same expression.

3. What are the different types of symmetry that a polynomial can have?

A polynomial can have three types of symmetry: even symmetry, odd symmetry, or neither. Even symmetry exists when a polynomial is symmetric with respect to the y-axis, while odd symmetry exists when a polynomial is symmetric with respect to the origin. A polynomial has neither symmetry when it does not satisfy either of these conditions.

4. How can the symmetry of polynomials be useful in solving equations?

The symmetry of polynomials can be used to simplify equations by reducing the number of terms to be solved. For example, if a polynomial has even symmetry, only the positive values of x need to be considered since the negative values will result in the same expression. This can make solving equations and finding roots easier.

5. Are there any real-life applications of symmetry of polynomials?

Yes, symmetry of polynomials has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and geometric shapes. It is also used in image processing and computer vision to detect and analyze symmetrical patterns.