What is the significance of symmetry in the complex plane?

In summary, the question posed is about how to express the fact that if all definitions, theorems, functions, variables, exercises, and jokes in the mathematical literature were complex-conjugated, the statements would still hold true. However, this is not always the case, as some functions may not behave the same when conjugated. The key lies in the symmetry of analytic functions in the complex plane, where the (x,y) coordinates are coupled. Switching i to -i in the definition of complex numbers is simply a relabeling and does not affect the overall conclusions and theorems. Similarly, measuring the argument clockwise (equivalent to conjugating) is also arbitrary and does not change the results.
lolgarithms
How does one express mathematically the fact that:
if we complex-conjugated everything (switch i to -i (j to -j etc. in hypercomplex numbers) in all the definitions, theorems, functions, variables, exercises, jokes ;-)) in the mathematical literature the statements would still be true?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. Well, that's a very open-ended question.

It's not always true that you can simply switch [tex]z[/tex] with [tex]\overline{z}[/tex] without consequence. For example, given an analytic function [tex]df/d\overline{z}=0[/tex]...a statement which is true of all functions! Another fact is that [tex]f(z) = \overline{z}[/tex] is a nowhere analytic map, which means that you can't simply conjugate things without worrying about consequences!

However, in the largest picture, I suppose your question is about symmetry in the complex plane. In that case, I suppose the key lies in the fact that analytic functions (and thus satisfying the Cauchy-Riemann equations) impose a restriction on how the function behaves as x and y vary...that is, the (x,y) coordinates are necessarily coupled. This results in a great deal of symmetry.

If you switch i to -i in the definition of i (i.e. in the definition of complex numbers themselves), then you're just renaming/relabelling a symbol.

a. Choosing i as the "basic imaginary unit" that satisfies [tex]x^{2}=-1[/tex] is arbitrary, you could have chosen to work with -i instead.

b. (Equivalent) Measuring the argument counter-clockwise is also arbitrary, and you except that the sames conclusions and theorems will remain unchanged when measuring the argument clockwise (which is equivalent to conjugating)

1. What is symmetry of the complex plane?

The symmetry of the complex plane refers to the geometric property of complex numbers where the graph of a complex function remains unchanged when reflected, rotated, or translated.

2. How is symmetry represented in the complex plane?

Symmetry in the complex plane is represented by the presence of a center point, known as the origin, and a set of axes (real and imaginary) that intersect at right angles.

3. What are the types of symmetry in the complex plane?

There are three types of symmetry in the complex plane: rotational symmetry, reflectional symmetry, and translational symmetry. Rotational symmetry involves rotating a figure around the origin, reflectional symmetry involves reflecting a figure across an axis, and translational symmetry involves moving a figure in a straight line without rotating or flipping it.

4. Why is symmetry important in the study of complex numbers?

Symmetry is important in the study of complex numbers because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of complex functions. It also plays a crucial role in solving complex equations and in visualizing complex geometric shapes and patterns.

5. How is symmetry used in real-world applications?

Symmetry is used in various real-world applications such as architecture, art, and engineering. It is also used in cryptography and signal processing to enhance the security and accuracy of digital communication systems.