Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Symmetry of the metric tensor

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    I was thinking about the metric tensor. Given a metric gμν we know that it is symmetric on its two indices. If we have gμν,α (the derivative of the metric with respect to xα), is it also valid to consider symmetry on μ and α? i.e. is the identity gμν,α = gαν,μ valid?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not valid. A counterexample is the FLRW metric, in which ##g_{11,0}## is nonzero because the metric changes over time with the expansion of the cosmos, while ##g_{01,1}## is zero because ##g_{01}## is uniformly zero.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3
    How would it look if we symmetrize / antisymmetrize it on its first and third indices (μ and α)?

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by symmetrise/antisymmetrise? In my understanding those are operations one performs on a tensor, and ##g_{ab,c}## is not a tensor, because partial differentiation (what the 'comma' does) is not a valid tensor operation.

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5
    I'm sorry. Actually I mean how could we obtain gμα,β + gμβ,α - gαβ,μ from gαβ,μ. (I'm trying to derive the Christoffel Symbol to put it in the geodesic equation.)

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are being unclear. These are not the same things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted