Symplectic Geometry: Learn, Understand & Expert Articles/Books

In summary, for those interested in symplectic geometry, there are numerous resources available to learn and understand the subject. Some recommended materials include V. I. Arnold's "Mathematical methods of classical mechanics," Da Silva's "Lectures on Symplectic Geometry," and McDuff and Salamon's "Introduction to symplectic geometry." Additionally, key articles in the field include Gromov's "Pseudoholomorphic curves in symplectic manifolds" and Floer's "Morse theory for Lagrangian intersections," which are credited with the birth of pseudoholomorphic methods and Floer homology, respectively. As for experts in the field, notable names include Y. Eliashberg, Y
Steven Wang
I am interesting in symplectic geometry now. But I have only little knowledge about it. Can someone show me some materials or courses to learn or understand this subject. I want to know the classic articles and books about symplectic geometry and who are the experts in this field. Thank you .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order of complexity:
V. I. Arnold - Mathematical methods of classical mechanics
Da Silva - Lectures on Symplectic Geometry
McDuff, Salamon - Introduction to symplectic geometry

Key articles:
-Gromov, 1985, "Pseudoholomorphic curves in symplectic manifolds" is probably the most influential article. (Birth of pseudoholomorphic methods)
-Floer's 1988 "Morse theory for Lagrangian intersections" (Birth of Floer homology)

Our leaders: Y. Eliashberg, Y. Chekanov, H. Hofer, D. McDuff, D. Salamon, A. Giventhal, L. Polterovich, FO_3 (Fukaya, Oh, Ohta, Ono).

I think you mean "Topology" in the third title, but otherwise, well said!

1. What is symplectic geometry?

Symplectic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric structures on phase spaces, which are mathematical spaces used to represent the possible states of a physical system. It is a key tool in understanding the behavior of dynamical systems, such as those found in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. What are the main concepts in symplectic geometry?

The main concepts in symplectic geometry include symplectic forms, symplectic manifolds, Hamiltonian mechanics, and the symplectic group. Symplectic forms are differential forms that capture the geometric properties of a phase space, while symplectic manifolds are smooth manifolds equipped with a symplectic form. Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework for describing the evolution of dynamical systems, and the symplectic group is a group of linear transformations that preserve symplectic structures.

3. How is symplectic geometry used in physics?

Symplectic geometry has numerous applications in physics, particularly in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. In classical mechanics, symplectic geometry is used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as celestial bodies, by analyzing their phase spaces. In quantum mechanics, symplectic geometry is used to study the geometric properties of quantum states and their evolutions.

4. What are some resources for learning symplectic geometry?

There are many resources available for learning symplectic geometry, including textbooks, online lectures, and research articles. Some popular books on the subject include "Introduction to Symplectic Topology" by Dusa McDuff and Dietmar Salamon, and "Symplectic Geometry" by Ana Cannas da Silva. There are also online courses and lectures available, such as those offered by MIT OpenCourseWare and the Institute for Advanced Study.

5. What are some current research topics in symplectic geometry?

Current research topics in symplectic geometry include the study of symplectic topology, which explores the topological properties of symplectic manifolds, and the application of symplectic geometry to other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory. Other areas of research include the study of symplectic reduction, which is a technique for simplifying the dynamics of a system, and the exploration of the relationship between symplectic geometry and quantum field theory.