Symplectic Notation: Confused by Subscripts i & j?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over using subscripts i and j interchangeably in the derivation of canonical transformation from the symplectic formulation. However, equation (9.53) on the attached picture instructs to transpose the matrix described by (9.51), which cannot be done if i and j are used interchangeably. The order of the indices is important as it determines the rows and columns of a matrix, and changing the order is equivalent to taking the transpose.
aaaa202
The attached is a section of the derivation of canonical transformation from the symplectic formulation. I tend to get very confused by the subscripts i and j. For me they both run from 1 to 2n and can be used interchangeably. But of course that is not the case since equation (9.53) on the attached picture specifically instructs you to transpose the matrix described by (9.51). Can someone explain what is wrong with just changing the indices in a pedagogic way - an example would be lovely too.

Attachments

• canonical.png
    canonical.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
The attached is a section of the derivation of canonical transformation from the symplectic formulation. I tend to get very confused by the subscripts i and j. For me they both run from 1 to 2n and can be used interchangeably. But of course that is not the case since equation (9.53) on the attached picture specifically instructs you to transpose the matrix described by (9.51). Can someone explain what is wrong with just changing the indices in a pedagogic way - an example would be lovely too.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Can you give a specific example of the equation where you think you can't transpose i & j?

Well, the indices do run from 1 to 2n, and there is no deep physics hidden in calling the indices i and j, specifically. Could be any letter or symbol, really. However, the order is important.

Changing the order of the indices for a matrix actually is the same as taking the transpose. Think of i as a row index and j as a column index. Just make up some old matrix and try it out.

perhaps I wasn't clear enough. My frustation is actually due to not being able to see why the order of i and j is important - it's probably trivial but I don't see it.

aaaa202 said:
My frustation is actually due to not being able to see why the order of i and j is important

In what term/equation?

1. What is symplectic notation?

Symplectic notation is a mathematical notation system used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities and relationships between them. It is based on the use of subscripts i and j to represent indices or variables.

2. Why are subscripts i and j used in symplectic notation?

The use of subscripts i and j in symplectic notation allows for a concise and consistent representation of physical quantities and their relationships. It also aligns with the use of indices in other mathematical notations, such as matrices and tensors.

3. How do I interpret the i and j subscripts in symplectic notation?

In symplectic notation, the i subscript typically represents the row index and the j subscript represents the column index. This can vary depending on the specific application, so it is important to carefully define the meaning of the subscripts in each case.

4. Can I use other subscripts in symplectic notation?

Yes, although subscripts i and j are the most commonly used in symplectic notation, other subscripts can be used as needed. It is important to clearly define the meaning of any additional subscripts used in order to avoid confusion.

5. Is symplectic notation difficult to learn?

Symplectic notation can be a bit confusing at first, especially if you are not familiar with mathematical notations and indices. However, with practice and a solid understanding of its principles, it can become a useful and efficient way to represent physical quantities and their relationships.