Synchronicity, Randomness

• Thread starter LeoYard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Randomness
In summary, synchronicity and randomness cannot be quantified as they are both qualities and quantities that are relative and perceived by each observer. They are symbiotic and rely on the system that supports the existence of the universe. Synchronicity is a relative state and can be perceived differently depending on one's frame of reference. It is time dependent and must be perceived as happening simultaneously. Synchronicity and coincidence may have similarities, but they are not the same thing.
LeoYard
Can we quantify synchronicity and randomness ?

Physics news on Phys.org
By it's ordinary definition randomness is a quality, not a quantity. To say that something is random is to declare that we can observe no sense of order, be it quantitative or qualitative. Thus, by the ordinary definition of randomness there is no way to quantify the concept and the same holds true for the idea of synchronicity, which is also a quality.

There are a few good books discussing 'synchronicity'.

An example is:
Synchronization: A Universal Concept in Nonlinear Sciences (Cambridge Nonlinear Science Series)

Randomness is in synch with randomnization and synchronicity is randomly occurring with itself and randomnization. Who can ever know the future? Yet it continues to flow because its synchronicity is perfect allowing for the continuum of existence. If any particle, atom, element etc. were to ever be out of synch then the perfection of existence would instantaneously cease to exist. All is natural. Randomness and synchronicity are both qualities and quantities, and not at the same time. The result of which depends on the data extracted from analysis and examination of a closed system contrary to an immeasurable system.

In closed systems predictions can seemingly be made and expectations had due to predetermined status and limited outcomes. In an immeasurable system there are both expectations/predictions and neither expectations/predictions considering that the immeasurable contains the measurable, thus simtultaneously being the attributes of both and neither.

Last edited:
Knowing something about coupled wave phenomena would make your search a little simpler.

Suppose that I wake up and randomly open an encyclopedia. On the page is an article about Selkirk Ontario. My wife walks in and says," Our friends just moved to Selkirk Ontario." 5 minutes pass. My painting of Napoleon falls for no apparent reason and shatters on the floor. On the front page of my newspaper is the headline, " Napoleon's birthday celebrated at the park." Obviously meaningless coincidences. However, suppose that these meaningless coincidences keep happening every 5 minutes for 7 years. I think that it would be rational to believe that something is going on. Now, when ( on what day of what year) do we say that randomness becomes synchronicity? How do we quantify the point at which randomness becomes sychronicity?

LeoYard said:
Can we quantify synchronicity and randomness ?

The two states, randomness and synchronicity, fundamentally belong together as "perceived states" that are relative to each observer and each state. This qualifies them as relative states. They are "symbiotic" in that our perception of them relies on there being a perceivable difference between them.

The two states only exist because of the system that supports a universe existing in the first place.

The two states can exist together, somewhat "symbiotically" in one synchronized system where random synchronicities take place. Ironically, in my view, the two cannot exist separately because... "you can't have one without the other" (Doris Day).

wittgenstein said:
Suppose that I wake up and randomly open an encyclopedia. On the page is an article about Selkirk Ontario. My wife walks in and says," Our friends just moved to Selkirk Ontario." 5 minutes pass. My painting of Napoleon falls for no apparent reason and shatters on the floor. On the front page of my newspaper is the headline, " Napoleon's birthday celebrated at the park." Obviously meaningless coincidences. However, suppose that these meaningless coincidences keep happening every 5 minutes for 7 years. I think that it would be rational to believe that something is going on. Now, when ( on what day of what year) do we say that randomness becomes synchronicity? How do we quantify the point at which randomness becomes sychronicity?

Isn't it true that from certain moving frames of reference, those two actions could appear to NOT take place at the same time, and destroy any notion of synchronicity?

Anticitizen said:
Isn't it true that from certain moving frames of reference, those two actions could appear to NOT take place at the same time, and destroy any notion of synchronicity?

Yes, that's why I'm calling synchronicity a relative and perceived state.

edit: Not that I'm the authority on the subject. But would anyone recognize a synchronized event if they'd never-ever seen a random one?

Last edited:
Position in time does not effect the notion of synchronicity. I open a book randomly at the library to page 22 of the Bible. I go home ( a twenty minute walk) and see my wife . She has the Bible open to page 22. That would still be synchronicity.
Also, your argument would destroy the notion of cause and effect. One can even say that the example you gave could be seen as cause and effect. I do not see cause and effect as a necessary connection and so like synchronicity, both are only patterns.

See my posts in the thread below called simply " synchronicity". There is a fuller explanation there.

wittgenstein said:
Position in time does not effect the notion of synchronicity.

I see, so if you open a book in the library at page 22, then you die 48 years later and someone else opens a book at page 22 this is sychronicity. Don't think so. Synchronicity is thoroughly time dependent. It must be perceived to have happened simultaneously or within a frame of reference... thus the relative nature of the event(s).

What are the similarities between Sychronicity and Coincidence?
Are they the same thing?

1. What is synchronicity?

Synchronicity is a concept first introduced by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung. It refers to meaningful coincidences that occur without any apparent causal connection. These events are seen as significant or meaningful by the person experiencing them, and are often interpreted as a sign of some underlying pattern or connection in the universe.

2. How is synchronicity different from randomness?

While synchronicity and randomness both involve events occurring without any apparent causal connection, they differ in their interpretation. Synchronicity is seen as meaningful and purposeful, while randomness is seen as chaotic and without any inherent meaning or purpose.

3. Is synchronicity a real phenomenon or just a psychological construct?

This is a debated question among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that synchronicity is a real phenomenon that exists in the universe, while others argue that it is simply a psychological construct created by humans to find meaning in random events.

4. Can synchronicity be scientifically studied and measured?

Currently, there is no scientific consensus on how to study and measure synchronicity. Some scientists argue that it falls outside the realm of scientific inquiry, while others believe that it can be studied through statistical analysis and controlled experiments.

5. How can synchronicity be explained by science?

There is no one scientific explanation for synchronicity. Some theories suggest that it may be a result of quantum entanglement, while others propose that it is a manifestation of the collective unconscious. However, more research is needed to fully understand the nature of synchronicity and its potential scientific explanations.