Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchronization gauge

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Please give me a defnition of the concept "synchronization gauge" I find in papers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rizzi et al, Synchronization Gauges and the Principles of Special Relativity give this definition:

"A synchronization gauge is a (very particular) group of transformations, internal to the theory, which leave the observables unchanged (”saving the phenomena”)" (page 2, footnote 3).​

Thus I interpret this to correspond to a whole family of coordinate systems available for a single observer to choose from, all agreeing the same "measurements" e.g. for observer's proper time. Examples are:

- the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-parameterised family of Reichenbach transformations
    - the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-parameterised family of Mansouri-Sexl transformations
    - the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-parameterised family of generalised Selleri transformations

(all for a fixed value of V for a given pair of observers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?