Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchronizationa & Resonance

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    How is resonance different from synchronization?

I know a bit about synch but not much about resonance. The examples I've found on the web all lie along the following line:

--If the frequency of two systems are the same
    --and the two systems are coupled
    --then oscillating one system will cause the second to oscillate as well

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2
    I think of resonance as a property of a single object, the fundamental mode in which it will vibrate after absorbing energy. Synchronization is a property of multiple coupled objects where energy will be "shared" between the objects. In some cases, where their resonant modes are similar they will vibrate in sync, or anti-sync as with Huygens' clocks. The synchronized frequency may not be exactly at the resonant frequency of any of the individual objects though.

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think Resonance is a description of a purely passive situation - when a passive system resonates with an impressed, periodic disturbance. 'Ringing' of a bell when you whistle the appropriate note.

Synchronisation involves a feedback loop, which involves an active device (op amp or suchlike) or could, perhaps, be used to described the amount of phase / frequency agreement between two independent oscillations. You can get synchronism between different but harmonically related oscillations - such as in a phase lock loop used in frequency synthesiser.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook