1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchronous 4-bit Up/down Binary Counters

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    http://palantir.swarthmore.edu/maxwell/courses/e015/F06/labs/lab01/74191.pdf

I have this IC with me, and I have to draw the timing diagrams. I'm doing good so far, except that during the middle of a clock pulse, the U(not)/D changes from 0 to 1 (counting up to down). It happens dead in the middle of the high part of the clock pulse. What do I do? Is there some sort of precedence issue that I should follow?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2
    If you look at U(not)/D, you will see it is an input. If you look at all the inputs, you will see that they all happen in the middle of a clock pulse. This is because it takes a finite amount of time for the signal to propogate into the part. This is called setup time and it should be specified in the data sheet somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?