Synchronous Generator. Power engineering question.

In summary, a synchronous generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy and is commonly used in power plants. It works by converting rotational energy into electrical energy through electromagnetic induction. The main components include a rotor, stator, excitation system, and prime mover. It differs from an induction generator in terms of voltage and frequency output and requires an external power source for the magnetic field. In power engineering, a synchronous generator is crucial for producing and maintaining a stable and reliable power supply for daily needs.
Pavoo

Homework Statement

Consider following: a three-phase synchronous generator which is under excited and drives a load with the power factor of 0.9 .

U = 380 V (Main supply voltage)
Ia = 75 A
Xd = 3 Ω / phase

Find the excited voltage E and the load angle δ.

Homework Equations

Under excited generator -> generator consumes VAr (the load is leading).

E can be calculated using various equations and methods, here's an example:

E2 = (U + XdIa sin [itex]\phi[/itex])2 + (XdIacos[itex]\phi[/itex])2

Or this one:

3 E2 = (U + XdQ/U)2 + (XdQ/U)2

P = active effects
Q = reactive effects

For δ an equation like this can be used:

P = (3*E*Uf)/Xd * sin δ

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct solution should be (my book says so):
E = 203 V and δ = 83,3°

I get, using all the above equations:
P = 44,4 kW , Q = -21,5 kVAr

E = 236,1 V and δ = 59°

---

Questions:
1. Am I just counting wrong here?

2. In the case of under-excited generator, does the E always have to be lower than per-phase voltage of Uf ?

Because in this case I get E > Uf ( 236,1 > (380/√3) )

I appreciate any hints on this one!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. It seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong equations. I suggest double checking your work and making sure you are using the correct equations for the given scenario.

2. In the case of an under-excited generator, the E value can vary and does not necessarily have to be lower than the per-phase voltage of Uf. It depends on the specific conditions and parameters of the generator.

1. What is a synchronous generator?

A synchronous generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also known as an alternator and is commonly used in power plants to produce electricity.

2. How does a synchronous generator work?

A synchronous generator works by converting the rotational energy of a turbine or steam engine into electrical energy. The energy is generated through the electromagnetic induction process, where the movement of a conductor in a magnetic field produces an electric current.

3. What are the main components of a synchronous generator?

The main components of a synchronous generator include a rotor, which is the rotating part of the generator, and a stator, which is the stationary part. It also includes an excitation system, which supplies the magnetic field, and a prime mover, which provides the mechanical energy.

4. What is the difference between a synchronous generator and an induction generator?

A synchronous generator produces a constant voltage and frequency, while an induction generator produces a varying voltage and frequency. Additionally, a synchronous generator requires an external power source to supply the magnetic field, while an induction generator does not.

5. What is the role of a synchronous generator in power engineering?

A synchronous generator is a crucial component in power engineering, as it is responsible for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, which is then transmitted and distributed to power homes, businesses, and industries. It plays a vital role in maintaining a stable and reliable power supply for our daily needs.