What is the speed of a synchronous satellite in orbit around the Earth?

In summary, to determine the speed of a satellite in orbit about the Earth, you can use the equation v= Square root of([G*M]/radius) and solve for the radius using the distance from the center of the Earth and the radius of the Earth. Alternatively, you can use the equation \omega r = v, where \omega is the angular frequency, to eliminate r from the equation.
dxlogan187
A rocket is used to place a synchronous satellite in orbit about the earth. What is the speed of the satellite in orbit?

I know that G= 6.67x10^-11 and the Mass of Earth is 5.98x10^24 kg.

So I'm to assume that I use the equation

v= Square root of([G*M]/radius)

But I don't know how high off the ground the satellite is. I know the radius of the Earth is 6.38X10^6 m, so I'd add that to how high above the Earth it is to get the radius.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance from the center of the Earth is the relevant one. However, you just need to recognize that [itex]\omega r = v[/itex] which you could use to eliminate r from your equation.

Tide said:
The distance from the center of the Earth is the relevant one. However, you just need to recognize that [itex]\omega r = v[/itex] which you could use to eliminate r from your equation.

What does the w symbol mean? Never seen that before :confused:

It's the Greek letter "omega" and it stands for the angular frequency. You may be more familiar with it in this form:

[tex]\omega = \frac {2\pi}{T}[/tex]

where T is the orbital period.

1. What is a synchronous satellite problem?

The synchronous satellite problem refers to the challenge of placing a satellite in orbit at a specific altitude and speed so that it remains in a fixed position above a specific location on Earth.

2. Why is it difficult to achieve a synchronous orbit?

Achieving a synchronous orbit requires precise calculations and adjustments to account for factors such as Earth's rotation, gravitational pull, and atmospheric drag. It also requires constant monitoring and adjustments to maintain the desired position.

3. What are the main applications of synchronous satellites?

Synchronous satellites are primarily used for communication, weather forecasting, and navigation purposes. They provide continuous coverage of a specific area and can transmit signals to and from the ground without interruption.

4. How are synchronous satellites different from other types of satellites?

Synchronous satellites have a specific orbital altitude and speed that allows them to remain in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface. This is different from other types of satellites that may have varying orbits and move relative to the Earth's rotation.

5. What challenges are associated with maintaining a synchronous satellite's orbit?

Maintaining a synchronous satellite's orbit requires constant monitoring and adjustments to counteract external forces such as solar wind and atmospheric drag. It also requires careful planning and coordination to avoid collisions with other satellites or debris in space.