Synchrotron Particle Accelerator: How Does It Work?

In summary,The particle accelerator diagram shows how it works and how it can be improved. It explains that the magnetic field must be increased in order to counteract the effects of the particles gaining energy. If the magnetic field is too weak, the radius of the curvature will increase and the particles will collide with the wall of the accelerator.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Examine the following diagram of a particle accelerator.[/B]
JP6YEP5.png

a) Give a brief explanation of how it works.
b) Describe what might happen to the particle accelerator if the magnetic field was too weak.
c) Describe one change to the electric field and one change to the magnetic field that must take place, as the particles gain energy.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Synchrotron accelerators take in particles, which are fired into them by linear accelerators such as protons. The particles rotate in a circular motion (caused by a electromagnets), which uses oppositely charged accelerating cavities to increase the acceleration of the particles. The magnets are set up in a circular pattern and in between them are accelerating cavities. In order to counter the effects of accelerating particles, the strength of the magnetic field is increased. Since the circular accelerators are large, energy is constantly added to the charged particles continuously moving around the circuit. The cavity behind the particle is similarly charged pushing the particle forward, and the cavity in front is oppositely charged pulling the particle forward. The overall goal is to accelerate the particles forward in their circular motion as fast as possible, which is close to the speed of light but never at the speed of light.

b) There will be an increase in the radius of the curvature caused by the accelerating particles, causing the particles to collide with the walls of the tube in the accelerator

c) The strength of the magnetic field must be increased in order to counter the effects of accelerating particles, otherwise the radius of the curvature will increase weakening the magnetic field therefore causing the particles to collide with accelerators tubing wall. With the increased speed of the particles, the charges in the cavities need to switch in correlation with the particles more quickly in order to synchronize with the increased speed of the particles otherwise the particles will slow down.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• JP6YEP5.png
    JP6YEP5.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 4,367
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,
You wrote "With the increase of speed in the charged particles, the charges within the accelerator are switched quickly. " I am not sure what you mean here. What does it mean to say that the charges are switched quickly?

I think you are correct that with a weakening of the magnetic field, the radius of curvature will increase. Thus the particles will collide with the wall of the cavity in which they are supposed to be confined. However, I do not see that this will decrease the speed of the particles. In general, a magnetic field cannot change the speed of a particle, but only can change its direction.

You say that this will weaken the magnetic field. Actually, the magnetic field is not produced by the charged particles. Rather, it is produced by coils outside of the accelerating cavity.

Synchrotons were developed after cyclotrons. You might find it helpful to review the discussion of cyclotrons on Wikipedia, at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

After you have looked at this, we can discuss point c.

Good luck,
Gene

Likes Physics345
Gene Naden said:
Hi there,
You wrote "With the increase of speed in the charged particles, the charges within the accelerator are switched quickly. " I am not sure what you mean here. What does it mean to say that the charges are switched quickly?

Yeah i meant to write "With the increase of speed in the charged particles, the charges within the cavities must be switched faster in accordance of the increase in speed."

Gene Naden said:
However, I do not see that this will decrease the speed of the particles.
I thought an increase in radius= a decrease in speed?

Also for b) according to your comments and some research, I have adjusted my answer to the following
There will be an increase in the radius of the curvature caused by the accelerating particles, causing the particles to collide with the walls of the tubes of the accelerator.

No, I don't think this is correct. For the particles to slow down, something has to be done with the electric fields. Magnetic fields simply cannot change the speed of a particle because the force is always at right angles to the direction of motion. Again, I think you should have a look at the cyclotron article on Wikipedia that I gave the link for.

You wrote "the charges in the cavity must be switched faster." Again, I am not sure what this means. What does it mean to switch a charge. The charges are always the same. Like in a typical accelerator they are protons and their change does not change.

Keep at it!

Gene Naden said:
No, I don't think this is correct. For the particles to slow down, something has to be done with the electric fields. Magnetic fields simply cannot change the speed of a particle because the force is always at right angles to the direction of motion. Again, I think you should have a look at the cyclotron article on Wikipedia that I gave the link for.

You wrote "the charges in the cavity must be switched faster." Again, I am not sure what this means. What does it mean to switch a charge. The charges are always the same. Like in a typical accelerator they are protons and their change does not change.

Keep at it!
Will do, also what did you think of my adjustment of b)?
My statement " the charges in cavity must be switched faster" is because the charges in the accelerating cavity need to be adjusted to be line up with the particles passing by them otherwise the particles will slow down. Honestly, I don't know how to make this any clearer it's what my textbook is saying.

Last edited:
I agree

Gene Naden said:
I agree
With what? I'm honestly very confused right now.

I agree with your adjustment to b.

As the particles gain energy, the system must apply more force perpendicular to their motion, in order to keep them moving in a circle. Also, they will be going around the circle faster and faster, and the electric field must keep up.

Gene Naden said:
I agree with your adjustment to b.

As the particles gain energy, the system must apply more force perpendicular to their motion, in order to keep them moving in a circle. Also, they will be going around the circle faster and faster, and the electric field must keep up.
Yeah isn't that what the accelerating cavity does by emitting opposite charges and therefore accelerating the particles?

Okay after taking a little break and eating something, my thought process has increased and I figured out the flaw with my previous statement.
Here is my new statement:
With the increased speed of the particles, the opposite charges that the accelerating cavities emit must be released in accordance to the increased speed of the particles otherwise the particles will slow down.

Well I am glad you got a break and a snack!

I think you are still having difficulty. There are no "opposite charges" in the cavities. There are only protons, or whatever particles are being accelerated. Also, the particles will not tend to slow down. The main thing that has to be accomplished is that the accelerator has to keep them moving in a circle, or a constant radius. And to keep boosting them.

Also, you need to think about the name "synchroton." It comes from the word "synchronize." The electric fields have to be synchronized with the circular motion of the particles in order for them to do their work. The work of the electric fields is to deliver energy to the particles (that is, to make them move faster).

Speaking of breaks, I am going to take a shower and a shave as I look a fright. I will be back in about 15 minutes.

Likes Physics345
Okay I figured out the mistake here after reading my text again.
With the increased speed of the particles, the opposite charges that the electromagnetic field emits must be released in a synchronized manner proportional to the particles increased speed otherwise the particles will slow down.
Do you approve!

Gene Naden said:
Also, you need to think about the name "synchroton." It comes from the word "synchronize." The electric fields have to be synchronized with the circular motion of the particles in order for them to do their work. The work of the electric fields is to deliver energy to the particles (that is, to make them move faster).
Also on a side note this comment you made was very clear and precise, it gave me a better understanding.

Physics345 said:

Homework Statement

Examine the following diagram of a particle accelerator.[/B]
View attachment 220768
a) Give a brief explanation of how it works.
b) Describe what might happen to the particle accelerator if the magnetic field was too weak.
c) Describe one change to the electric field and one change to the magnetic field that must take place, as the particles gain energy.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Synchrotron accelerators take in particles, which are fired into them by linear accelerators such as protons. The particles rotate in a circular motion, which uses oppositely charged accelerating cavities to increase the speed of the particles. The magnets are set up in a circular pattern and in between them are accelerating cavities. In order to counter the effects of accelerating particles, the strength of the magnetic field is increased. Since the circular accelerators are large, energy is constantly added to the charged particles continuously moving around the circuit. With the increased speed of the particles, the opposite charges that the accelerating cavities emit must be released in accordance to the increased speed of the particles otherwise the particles will slow down.. The cavity behind the particle is similarly charged pushing the particle forward, and the cavity in front is oppositely charged pulling the particle forward. The overall goal is to accelerate the particles forward in their circular motion as fast as possible which is close to the speed of light but never at the speed of light.

b) There will be an increase in the radius of the curvature caused by the accelerating particles, causing the particles to collide with the walls of the tubes in the accelerator.

c) The strength of the magnetic field must be increased in order to block the effects of accelerating particles, otherwise the radius of the curvature will increase weakening the magnetic field and reducing the speed of the accelerating particles. The use of the electromagnets must be used to curve the path of the particles into a circular rotation; also the oppositely charged accelerating cavities must be used to increase the speed of the particles.

Let me know what you guys think.
so wait the magnetic field is getting weaker or stronger
Some sort of laptop Atom in the sky working

The charges you need are - + from the magnetic field to do what you need

Well I know you are working on this, hard, but the electric field doesn't emit charges. It pushes or pulls on charges. It pushes or pulls on the protons or whatever particles are being accelerated. There are two parts to the action:
1. The magnetic field acts to keep the motion of the protons in a circle. As the energy and speed of the protons increases, the magnetic field must be adjusted.
2. The electric fields are a matter of timing. They have to be syncnronized with the circular motion of the protons. Remember, the electric fields are "alternating." That is, they rapidly change in direction, first applying force in one direction and then in another.

Think about the protons as being in a "bunch." At any given moment in time, the protons are only on one side of the accelerator. Then, half a cycle later, they are on the other side. So the electric field has to be rapidly changing in order to always be pointing in the direction of motion of the charges.

It may help to try to make a diagram of the fields and forces involved.

Incidentally, I think this is a very hard problem for an introductory course!

Likes mic*
I am retiring for the night. I am sorry I couldn't bring you to a solution of this problem!

Gene Naden said:
Well I know you are working on this, hard, but the electric field doesn't emit charges. It pushes or pulls on charges. It pushes or pulls on the protons or whatever particles are being accelerated. There are two parts to the action:
1. The magnetic field acts to keep the motion of the protons in a circle. As the energy and speed of the protons increases, the magnetic field must be adjusted.
2. The electric fields are a matter of timing. They have to be syncnronized with the circular motion of the protons. Remember, the electric fields are "alternating." That is, they rapidly change in direction, first applying force in one direction and then in another.

Think about the protons as being in a "bunch." At any given moment in time, the protons are only on one side of the accelerator. Then, half a cycle later, they are on the other side. So the electric field has to be rapidly changing in order to always be pointing in the direction of motion of the charges.

Thank you I figured it out anyways, now I just need to work on c)
Good night.

Gene Naden said:

Well he need a - + charge from the magnetic field to work correct that should fix everything

Fields don't produce charges.

Gene Naden said:
Fields don't produce charges.
you mean particles? to produce

Do you need in (a) an explanation for why there are extraction magnets and how they work? They are ultimately the whole point of building the synchrotron.

Riders on the storm said "Well he need a - + charge from the magnetic field to work correct that should fix everything".
That makes no sense. Magnetic fields don't produce charges.

I have turned to Khan Academy and my teacher, I've managed to figure out an answer thanks for all your help guys.

Gene Naden said:
Riders on the storm said "Well he need a - + charge from the magnetic field to work correct that should fix everything".
That makes no sense. Magnetic fields don't produce charges.

then how did the solar shield get atom working on the magnetic field

Well, definitely magnetic fields don't produce charges. They only deflect charges.

What solar shield?

Thanks and regards,
Gene Naden

Gene Naden said:
Well, definitely magnetic fields don't produce charges. They only deflect charges.

What solar shield?

Thanks and regards,
Gene Naden
Well but there's a priority in the magnetic fields with Atom staying charged that's what i heard recent
I meant to say magnetic fields with solar shield
magnetic fields particles work with atom devices that have - + connection live particle infections like the blue particle virus

1. What is a synchrotron accelerator?

A synchrotron accelerator is a large scientific facility that uses powerful magnets to accelerate particles, such as electrons, to nearly the speed of light. These accelerated particles are then used to produce intense beams of X-rays, which can be used for a wide range of scientific experiments in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and materials science.

2. How does a synchrotron accelerator work?

A synchrotron accelerator works by using a series of magnets to accelerate particles along a circular path. These magnets create a strong magnetic field that bends the path of the particles, causing them to travel in a circular orbit. As the particles move along this path, they are accelerated by an electric field, reaching extremely high speeds and energies.

3. What are the advantages of using a synchrotron accelerator?

One of the main advantages of using a synchrotron accelerator is the production of intense beams of X-rays with a high degree of brightness and coherence. This allows for the study of materials at the atomic and molecular level, providing valuable insights into their structure and properties. Synchrotron accelerators also allow for a wide range of experimental techniques, making them a versatile tool for many areas of scientific research.

4. What are some common applications of synchrotron accelerators?

Synchrotron accelerators have a wide range of applications in various fields of science. They are commonly used for structural biology, where the intense X-ray beams can reveal the structure of proteins and other biomolecules. They are also used in materials science to study the properties of materials at the atomic level, and in chemistry and physics for studies on chemical reactions, magnetic properties, and more.

5. How are synchrotron accelerators funded?

Synchrotron accelerators are typically funded by a combination of government agencies, private organizations, and academic institutions. Many synchrotron facilities also offer user access for researchers from around the world, with funding coming from their home institutions. Additionally, some synchrotron accelerators receive funding through collaborations with industry partners for specific research projects.