Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Syncing 2 phases

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

Doing some energy monitoring of some various equipment using ct clamps and an diy arduino based energy monitor. I have limited number of arduino inputs available so have been experimenting to boost the capacity of the monitor without using multi arduino. I have found no problem joining 2 or 3 clamps into one input if they are of the same phase but what would i need to do to sync the tiny voltage between clamps so that i could put all of my lights, which are split between the 3 phases into one input using 3 clamps.

I know the answer if there is one would be to use capacitors but it would be great if any1 could tell the values or configuration and what i would use to measure to make sure i've done it right it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Samuel

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Powerpoucher. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

The clamps are sensing the amplitude of the current?

You have 3 clamps, and would like to produce a signal equal in amplitude to the sum of the three individual signal amplitudes? Do you want this sum to be a single-phase AC signal, or a DC level? What is your line frequency?

In any case, I think it would have to be an op-amp circuit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 21, 2014 #3
    You are exacty correct and thank you for putting it in a more coherent form than I did. The line frequency is 50htz and it will need to be a single phase AC signal.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 21, 2014 #4

berkeman

I agree with NO -- use an opamp circuit that does peak detect on each phase, and add those 3 voltages before digitizing with your Arduino.

6. May 22, 2014 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You didn't say what does the current wave look like. Phase shifting by capacitors will affect harmonic content of non-sine wave load currents

If this is more than just a hobby application , it might be worth using RMS to DC converters for the phase currents.
    Electric company probably hands you a pretty decent sinewave voltage.

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD737.pdf

around eight bucks at Digikey

application notes here
    http://www.analog.com/en/special-linear-functions/rms-to-dc-converters/ad737/products/product.html

Linear Technology has similar products

7. May 23, 2014 #6

NascentOxygen

Using the fairly simple arrangement I had in mind, it will not produce accurate results when the load predominantly comprises lights with dimmers and speed-controlled ceiling fans. These cause distortions in the current waveform, rendering it non-sinusoidal.

Are you likely to have such loads? (Jim, that true RMS processor sounds handy.)

I'm also interested to know why you prefer the sensor to give you a sinusoidal signal, in preference to a DC level.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. May 23, 2014 #7
    If your are looking at different phases and the output of the sensors is AC ( representative V or I ) this really will not work. As an example - if the phases are 180 out of phase - and they both have 100A - the sum will be 0 Amps....
    If the output of the sensors is DC Voltage representing the current, then the DC voltages can be summed - possibly in series, depending on the output circuit in the sensor ( YOu may be able to rectify the signal yourself - creat DC ands then sum)- -- Summing with an op amp will work, but you still need to get the V input to the ADC input on the Arduino to 3.3 or 5 V MAX ( basic v divider will work)

However looking at all of this- you are introducing a lot of error...- so each step is not ideal and you are getting further and further from the truth. If you really want to measure energy / power - perhaps a power measuring IC - or try to convert each signal into power first... still I a sure more work than you are asking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook