Synoptic Chart Interpretation

In summary: You explain that there is an occluded cyclone in the Atlantic moving North/Eastwards. There is also an extended cold front and warm front merging in the centre of the occluded front, which indicates a trough coming out from the low pressure area and a ridge from the same low. As the cold front catches up with the warm front, it produces an occluded front, which is a common occurrence with deep low pressure regions. It is also common for ridges of high pressure to be pushed out in front of a trough line.
Gondur
NbQ8GqM.gif

Hello,

I wonder if you might be able to help me understand what's happening on this synoptic chart?

What I can see, there appears to be an occluded cyclone in the Atlantic moving North/Eastwards.

I'd like to know why there is an extended cold front and warm front merging in the centre of the occluded front?

What does this mean exactly? What is happening here?

Attachments

• NbQ8GqM.gif
    NbQ8GqM.gif
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,071
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know meteorology too well but let's try: There's a warm front followed by a cold front which merge at 15W 58N. In the NW of it, you have an inclusion front.

Gondur said:
I'd like to know why there is an extended cold front and warm front merging in the centre of the occluded front?

the cold front is indicating a trough coming out from the low pressure area and the warm front a ridge from the same low.
As the cold front catches up with the warm front, it produces an occluded front indicated in the blue area. It is indicating
that the merging of the cold and warm fronts ( in the red area) will continue to produce an occluded front of growing length towards the SE.

untitled.JPG

This is a reasonably common occurrence associated with deep low pressure regions ( cyclones)
It is also very common for ridges of high pressure (warm air masses) to be pushed out in front of a trough lineDave

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 930

What is a synoptic chart?

A synoptic chart is a visual representation of weather data at a specific time and location. It shows information such as temperature, pressure, wind speed and direction, and precipitation. Synoptic charts are used by meteorologists to analyze and forecast weather patterns.

How do you interpret a synoptic chart?

To interpret a synoptic chart, you need to understand the symbols and colors used to represent different weather elements. You also need to look for patterns and relationships between the different elements to make predictions about future weather conditions.

What is the purpose of synoptic chart interpretation?

The purpose of synoptic chart interpretation is to understand and predict weather patterns. This information is crucial for various industries such as agriculture, transportation, and emergency services. It also helps individuals plan their daily activities and prepare for severe weather events.

What are some common mistakes when interpreting synoptic charts?

Some common mistakes when interpreting synoptic charts include not considering the time and location of the chart, not understanding the symbols and colors used, and not taking into account other factors such as topography and climate. It is also essential to avoid making assumptions and always double-check the data.

How can synoptic chart interpretation help with climate change research?

Synoptic chart interpretation can provide valuable insights into long-term weather patterns and trends, which can help with climate change research. By analyzing past and present synoptic charts, scientists can identify changes in weather patterns and make predictions about future climate conditions. This information is crucial for understanding the impacts of climate change and developing mitigation strategies.