Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthehol - A new age of drugs?

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any Star Trek fan will recognize this idea.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...e-pleasures-of-alcohol-with-no-downsides.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

That fancy new synthehol will never replace my Klingon Blood Wine.

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

I don't see how you could make anything but vodka with this alcohol substitute.

Edit: I read the article again and I guess it would just be pills. Takes the taste part out of drinking.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's kind of weird and funny to read an article with the interviewee named Nutt.

6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    I think the secientist who are working on this are Star Trek fans.

7. Apr 12, 2006 #6
    Personally I was thinking more along the lines of those people that tried every drug they could get their hands on in college but I guess they could be both.

8. Apr 13, 2006 #7
    If they need a guinea pig i will gladly go lol.

ya this is sorta one of my dreams in a sense. While they are designing a drug to mimic alcohol with no negative effects. Im personally more interested in a super-drug. All the best effects of all the good drugs. but no addiction or any other bad effects.

Be complete plowed and loving it. while knowing that your in good shape.

Mmmmm vodka my favourite. taste is the reason why i dont drink beer. beer taste so terrible. going to a pill or a tasteless vodka like thing would be the best ever. MMMMMAAANNNN jello shooters with synthehol. SO GREAT.

9. Apr 13, 2006 #8
    What's the part of a drink that give it it's flavour and can this be synthesised? I'd imagine getting a beer flavouring and then finding a way to infuse the drugs into a drink would be practical.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  10. Apr 13, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not convinced that would be without any deleterious side-effects. I'm not convinced the drugs could ever be safe when administered systematically either. Unless you're going to find a way to inject them directly to the group of neurons you want to target, there will always be side effects when a drug gets to cells that you don't want to target, but that still have the receptors for those drugs.

I think I would agree with SA's assessment regarding their motivations. :biggrin:

11. Apr 13, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the article talks about "no downside", but the claim is that it could avoid the worst effects.

12. Apr 14, 2006 #11
    One of my dorm-mates when to the pub last night and got into a fight with like 5 other people. They got him on the ground and started kicking his head over and over. He had a bloody bruise the size of a lemon on his forehead, I kid you not!

LOL. That's half the reason people drink is to see other people act like idiots and not remember it the next day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?