1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthesis of Cholesterol Nonanoate

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A reaction of nonanoyl chloride with cholesterol to form cholesterol nonanoate, pyridine is also used in the reaction.

1.If a student starts with 0.2543 g of cholesterol, 1.4 mL of pyridine, and 0.14 g of nonanoyl chloride, what would be the theoretical yield of cholesteryl nonanoate?

2.At the end of the experiment, the student isolates 0.2254 g of cholesteryl nonanoate. What is the percent yield for this student’s synthesis?

2. Relevant equations

C9H17ClO + C27H46O -----(C5H5N) -----> C36H62O2 + C5H6NCl- (I believe that is the balance equation, any confirmation?

We are also given:
    nonanoyl chloride M.W. = 176.7 g/mol
    cholesterol M.W. = 386.6 g/mol
    cholesteryl nonanoate M.W. = 527.2 g/mol

3. The attempt at a solution

I might have the solution but I'm not sure. First I believe that they all react with a ratio of 1mol, Using the balanced equation which says that ideally 1 mole of each of the three react together, it shows that C27H46O is the limiting substance as there it least of this. Therefore 1 mole cholesterol makes 1 mole of cholesteryl nonanoate, so 386g of cholesterol makes 526 g of cholesteryl nonanoate, so 0.2543g of cholersterol makes (526/386) x 0.2543 = 0.3465 g of cholesteryl nonanoate, which is the theoretical yield.

For 2) is it just % yield = (0.2254/theoretical yield) x 100
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Approach seems to be OK, but I have just skimmed. I haven't checked numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?