1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthesis via Sn2/Sn1, E2, E1

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    I was looking at the answers in my textbook. They seem to make incongruent choices of solvents.

In e) and j), why choose EtOH and H2O/CH3OH? I would rather choose an aprotic solvent like DMF to better allow Sn2 to occur. Especially with j), there is a lot of competition with E2 because OH- is a strong base and because we are attacking a secondary carbon.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2
    I see this again in k). Secondary carbon attacked: why not add DMF to prevent E2 and get best yield?

Attached Files:

4. Aug 10, 2014 #3
    Depends on the acidity/basicity of the end product. A reaction proceeds towards the weaker base/acid. If your end products are more acidic or basic than the reactants, it will not occur.

5. Aug 10, 2014 #4
    Teemo, I don't see how an unreacting reagent can cause a change in acid base interactions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted