1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthetic Division

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if you could help me out with this problem. Please explain how to solve using synthetic division. I need to know how to solve it.

[tex]\frac{6x^4-3x^3+5x^2+2x-6}{3x^2-2}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]2x^2-x+3[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is synthetic division and through what is it different from normal division?

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Synthetic Division is described here. It's a faster way of doing polynomial division.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaah,i knew it under the name "Schema lui Horner" (Horner's trick).Well,wasn't that Wiki page clear??

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    This is actually a homework problem my sister posted (shes in alg/trig). What she is getting stuck on is the fact that the bottom is not [itex]x-r[/itex], but [itex]x^2-r[/itex] I haven't done it in a long time so I can't really help her with it.

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't work,i'm afraid.You see,the denominator doesn't factor into monoms with integer ([itex] \in\mathbb{Z} [/itex]) roots,so the "trick" is useless.U might read better the Wiki page,if u don't trust me.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?