Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Synthetic Division

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if you could help me out with this problem. Please explain how to solve using synthetic division. I need to know how to solve it.

[tex]\frac{6x^4-3x^3+5x^2+2x-6}{3x^2-2}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]2x^2-x+3[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is synthetic division and through what is it different from normal division?

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Synthetic Division is described here. It's a faster way of doing polynomial division.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaah,i knew it under the name "Schema lui Horner" (Horner's trick).Well,wasn't that Wiki page clear??

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    This is actually a homework problem my sister posted (shes in alg/trig). What she is getting stuck on is the fact that the bottom is not [itex]x-r[/itex], but [itex]x^2-r[/itex] I haven't done it in a long time so I can't really help her with it.

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't work,i'm afraid.You see,the denominator doesn't factor into monoms with integer ([itex] \in\mathbb{Z} [/itex]) roots,so the "trick" is useless.U might read better the Wiki page,if u don't trust me.

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook