Synthetic Schlieren Imaging

As a hobby project I developed a maximum entropy image reconstruction algorithm for noise reduction in image processing. I tried it out on the knife in vacuum cleaner exhaust image.
VAC.png

My program generated this image:

vac_me.png

You can see some of the features of turbulence caused by the knife which are not visible in the original.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Also 4K resolution (3840x2160) with 1 and 2 pixel squares.
After capturing and inspecting those images I compute they are from a 30in. (762mm) diagonally-measured monitor with a pixel pitch of 104ppi (pixels per inch, about 4 pixels per mm), the same pitch as my 23in. It also looks like the 1-pixel image is noticeably out of focus. The 2-pixel has perfect focus, I can even see the screen structure between the pixels. Amazing!

Nice work, Keith!

Cheers,
Tom

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My program generated this image:
This is very encouraging. Have you considered do a bit of tiffling with 'curves and levels' on Photoshop (or equivalent) to make the image more visible to the eye? It's not cheating and would make the results much more accessible. Increase the gain / slope a bit but keep the blacks black.
Your program could easily identify the brightness range and do some useful scaling on its own, without human intervention.