News Syrian-less Lebanon

• Thread starter Azimuth
  • Start date
So along the lines of the "role of religion in conflicts" thread, let's discuss Lebanon now that Syria has been 'forced' to withdrawl their troops. The problems in Lebanon originally stemmed from 'religios conflicts', though it seems that the hatred for Syria seemed to unite them. With Syria's rapid deployment (not sure if thats the right word) what will be Lebanon's fate?

Personally i think that the civil war will start up again, because god knows Pres. Habib won't to anything to actually help his country...but that is just my opinion, what do you guys think?

russ_watters

Mentor
Azimuth said:
Personally i think that the civil war will start up again, because god knows Pres. Habib won't to anything to actually help his country...but that is just my opinion, what do you guys think?
I think democracy has a real chance. The people appear to want it. However, I can't say I'm all that knowledgeable about the history there.

as long as syrian military was in lebanon there was not any major religious conflict. i'm also pessimistic and believe lebanon is going down the same path as before.