Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System in lowest energy sate

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hello friends... Please answer to this question…
    Any system always prefers a lowest energy state. Why??? Does this fact come from any physical laws?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That's a pretty interesting question. I would say it is a direct result of physical laws, but I really couldn't give you a good explanation.

Also, please don't make your text way bigger than it needs to be. It's like talking really loudly into someones ear.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    I am not sure prefer is the right word, but a system would tend toward equilibrium due to an imbalance of some kind. From a less to more stable state. The physical law involved will depend on the system in question.

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4
    Sorry about the font. i didn't meant to talk loud. Please forgive....

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5

imbalance of what?

7. Oct 29, 2012 #6
    An imbalance of forces perhaps.

If you ask a more specific question, I can try to give more specific answers.

Energy can dissipate from a system and be converted to other forms but to get the system to a higher energy state requires you put energy into it. When the energy is dissipated, some sorrounding system will absorb the energy and enter a higher energy state. Energy is conserved. But overall, there will be a statistical tendency for systems toward lower energy states as the energy "spreads out" more.

8. Oct 29, 2012 #7
    Say for example this:
    why does a (electric/magnetic)dipole placed in external electric/magnetic field align itself parallel to the field. Why?

9. Oct 29, 2012 #8

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Because it feels a force that causes it to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook