Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System not booting with ati 9800 pro

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    I have a Asus k8v se deluxe motherboard with a amd 3700 64 bit 754 socket processor. When putting in ati radeon 9800 pro 256 mb card, the screen stays blanks and nothing boots. I have 2 seperate k8v motherboards and this happens with both, but when I use the card in my older soyo motherboard it works just fine, so I know its not a problem with the card being broke. All other video cards I have work in this motherboard with no problem. I have read somewhere that the 9800 pro has problems with some power supplys, so i tried a couple different and the same thing happens with all of them when trying to boot it with the k8v motherboard. All power supplys I tested work with the card in my older soyo motherboard, and nothing seems to work with my asus. That is why I am starting to suspect its a compatibility issue with this certain motherboard. Just wondering is there is anything i can do or any reason why this card will not work with this motherboard. Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Is there a jumper or bios setting to switch from onboard or PCI graphics to AGP? Have you tried updating the motherboard bios?

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    I have upgraded the Bios and i assume that it is already set for agp since that is the only type card i have used in the board since ive gotten it.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    Go into your bios and make sure that your graphics card is not holding a conflicting IRQ number. If it is on the same IRQ channal as say your hardrive...etc.. it could cause your system to misperform and possibly not boot.

6. May 23, 2005 #5
    Using the same IRQ shouldn't matter if APM is turned on, which usually is the case with Windows.

7. May 23, 2005 #6
    Yes, it is most likely you're motherboard. I have had issues with my older ASUS and its compatibility with GeForce. As I am sure there are many people with the same hardware configuration as yours, your best bet is to Google for an answer. Usually, when such a problem arises, people create custom drivers to compensate and rectify any issues that ASUS are not promptly willing to do.

8. May 27, 2005 #7
    is the speaker conected to the motherboard ? (not to the audio card)

Sometimes if the video card isn't conected you should hear somenthing like

beeeeep bep bep bep........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?