1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of DE's with maple

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having trouble solving a system of DE's. I think my equations are right, but I'm nit sure how to specify
    them correctly. I keep getting errors that say I'm mixing functions and variables.

I am attempting to model a helium balloon drifting up along the y axis as well as with the wind along the x axis.
    I an keeping wind direction and magnitude constant, and the overall dimensions of the balloon constant however I am varying air density and balloon density, and therefore balloon volume.

I have 5 DEs ,
    dy/dt
    dx/dt
    dρ[a]/dy <---air density
    /dy <----Balloon density
    dV/dρ

The first two equations are froms newtons law the last three are based on pressure altitude relations.
    here it the link to the worksheet. Any help with my math of the code would be appreciated. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22548767/balloon.mw [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted