System of diff equations

• Thread starter Tarhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses problems with solving systems of differential equations, specifically finding the intervals of values for a stable focus and stable node. For the first problem, the solution involves finding the eigenvalues and using the quadratic formula to factor the equation. The solution is periodic with a period of π/3 and the moments when the point x(t) is closest to the equilibrium point 0 can be determined by looking at the times when the derivative of x(t) is equal to 0.
Tarhead
I am having problems with solving systems of differential equations.

x'= [(-3 ) (gamma)]x
...[ ( 6 ) ( 4 ) ]

I am supposed tofind the interval of values of gamma for a) stable focus and b) stable node.

I started by
[(-3-r) (gamma)][x1] = [0]
[( 6 ) (4-r ) ][x2]...[0]

det(A-rI) = (-3-r)(4-r)-6(gamma) = 0
= r^2-r-12-6(gamma)= 0

but I don't know where to go after this point to find these different intervals.

For another problem:
x'= [0 3]x
...[-12 0] with initial conditions x1(0)= 1, x2(0) = 2

show that the solution x(t) is periodic and determine its period. Additionally to find the moment(s) when the point x(t) is closest to the equilibrium point 0.

For this I have
[(-r ) (3)][x1] = [0]
[(-12) ( -r)][x2]...[0]
so r^2 + 36 = 0

how do I factor this? and after I find my values of r and plug them back in, where do I go?

Physics news on Phys.org
To factor the equation, you can use the quadratic formula. The two solutions of r are -6i and 6i, which yields the eigenvalues of the system as -6i and 6i. These represent the magnitude and direction of oscillation of the system. From this, we can determine that the solution x(t) is periodic with a period of 2π/|6i| = π/3. To find the moment when the point x(t) is closest to the equilibrium point 0, we can use the eigenvalues to determine the shape of the solution. Since one of the eigenvalues is -6i, this means that the solution will have an oscillatory behavior that will approach the equilibrium point 0. To determine the moments when the point x(t) is closest to the equilibrium point 0, we can look for the times at which the derivative of x(t) is equal to 0. This will occur at the points in time where the slope of the oscillation is at its maximum or minimum.

Solving systems of differential equations can be a challenging task, so it is understandable that you are having some difficulties. It is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in order to successfully solve these problems.

For the first problem, you have correctly set up the system of equations and found the characteristic equation. To find the intervals for a stable focus and stable node, you will need to consider the different values of gamma. Remember that for a stable focus, you want the real part of the eigenvalues to be negative, and for a stable node, you want the real part of the eigenvalues to be zero. So, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for r and then substitute different values of gamma to determine the corresponding intervals.

For the second problem, you have also correctly set up the system of equations and found the characteristic equation. To factor the equation, you can use the quadratic formula or try to find two numbers that multiply to -36 and add up to 0. Once you have found the values of r, you can plug them back into the system of equations and solve for x1 and x2. Then, you can use the initial conditions to find the specific solution. To determine the period, you can look for a pattern in the solution or use the fact that the period is equal to 2π/ω, where ω is the imaginary part of the eigenvalues. To find when the point is closest to the equilibrium point 0, you can set the solution equal to 0 and solve for t. This will give you the moment(s) when the point is closest to 0.

It is always helpful to practice solving different types of systems of differential equations to improve your understanding and skills. You can also consult with your instructor or classmates for additional guidance and resources. Good luck!

What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change. It is used to model dynamic systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology.

What is the difference between a system of differential equations and a single differential equation?

A system of differential equations involves multiple equations that are interrelated, while a single differential equation only involves one equation. A system of differential equations is typically used to model more complex systems that involve multiple variables and their interactions.

What are the methods for solving a system of differential equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of differential equations, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and substitution, as well as numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the accuracy required.

What are the real-life applications of a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations has various real-life applications, including predicting the spread of diseases, modeling chemical reactions, and analyzing the movement of objects in physics. It is also used in economics, ecology, and other fields to understand and predict complex systems.

What are the challenges of working with a system of differential equations?

One of the main challenges of working with a system of differential equations is that it can be difficult to find exact solutions, especially for complex systems. This often requires the use of numerical methods, which can be time-consuming and may not always provide accurate results. It is also important to carefully consider the initial conditions and parameters in order to accurately model the system.