How do I write a system of equations with dots in latex?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a system of equations in latex and how to place dots in a similar manner as shown in the attached picture. The solution provided is to use the align* environment and vdots to achieve the desired result. The person asking for help expresses their gratitude and asks for clarification on how to write vdots with proper spacing.
haseebmahmud
Hi Folks,

I want to write a system of equations in latex. The equations is something similar as follows,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2466547973_636ea6137f_o.jpg

Generally, its ok to write system of equations in latex. But i don't have any idea how can I place the dots like what you see in the picture attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

_HM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like this?
[tex]\begin{align*}
y_1 a_{11} & + & y_2 a_{21} & + & \cdots & + & e_1 & = & 0 \\
y_1 a_{12} & + & y_2 a_{22} & + & \cdots & + & e_2 & = & 0 \\
\vdots & & \vdots & & & & \vdots& & \\
y_1 a_{1M} & + & y_2 a_{2M} & + & \cdots & + & e_M & = & 0 \\
\end{align*}[/tex]

(click to see source)

gr8. that's exactly what i am looking for. i googled a lot but didnt find the exact. thanks again. anyway could you please tell me how should i write vdots. I mean the spacing.

Last edited:

1. What is the syntax for writing a system of equations in LaTeX?

The syntax for writing a system of equations in LaTeX involves using the "align" environment, which is accessed by including the "amsmath" package in the preamble of the document. The equations are then written using the "&" symbol to indicate alignment points and the "\\" command to start a new line.

2. How do I label and reference individual equations within a system in LaTeX?

To label and reference individual equations within a system in LaTeX, the "align" environment can be used in conjunction with the "\label" and "\ref" commands. The label should be placed after the equation and the reference can be used within the text to refer to the equation number.

3. Can I use different types of brackets or parentheses in a system of equations in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use different types of brackets or parentheses in a system of equations in LaTeX by using the "\left" and "\right" commands. These commands automatically adjust the size of the brackets or parentheses based on the content within them.

4. How can I align the equal signs in a system of equations in LaTeX?

The equal signs in a system of equations can be aligned by using the "&=" symbol instead of just "=" in the "align" environment. This will ensure that all equal signs are aligned in a single column.

5. Is there a way to add comments or notes to a system of equations in LaTeX?

Yes, comments or notes can be added to a system of equations in LaTeX using the "\intertext" command within the "align" environment. This command allows for text to be inserted in between equations without disrupting the alignment.