System of Equations Mechanics problem

In summary, to find the value of x2 when two objects moving along the x-axis are nearest to each other, we can use the equations x_1= 23.0t and x_2= -28.0 +43.0t-8.0t^2. By solving the first equation for t and plugging it into the second equation, we get x_2= -28.0 + 43.0( \frac {x_1}{23}) -8.0(\frac {x_1}{23})^2. To minimize the distance between x1 and x2, we can set the t-derivative equal to 0 and solve for t. The distance between x
Punchlinegirl
The x-coordinates of two objects moving along the x-axis are given below as a function of time t. [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] never have the same value. Calculate the value of [tex]x_2[/tex] when the objects are nearest to each other.
[tex]x_1[/tex]= 23.0t
[tex]x_2= -28.0 +43.0t-8.0t^2[/tex]

I solved the first equation for t, and then plugged it into the second one to get [tex]x_2= -28.0 + 43.0( \frac {x_1}{23}) -8.0(\frac {x_1}{23})^2[/tex]

I tried to use the quadratic formula but got a negative number... can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what value did you use for x_2 in your quadratic formula?
it's easier algebra to replace those "x1/23" terms with "t".

This is a relative location question ... what is x2 rel. to x1?
now there's only one equation, one unknown (t).
minimize x2-x1 , by setting t-derivitive =0.

If you mean you completed the square to find the minimum value of the quadratic then, since that quadratic is equal to x2, you are just finding the minimum value of x2 itself, not where the distance between x1 and x2 is a minimum.

The distance between x1 and x2 is |x1- x2|- that's what you want to minimize.

It's probably simplest to look at x1- x2 and x2- x1 separately.

Ok I got it... thanks for your help

1. What is a system of equations mechanics problem?

A system of equations mechanics problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves multiple equations and multiple variables, typically used to solve problems related to mechanics or physics. These problems can involve forces, velocities, and other physical quantities, and the goal is to use the given equations to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How do you solve a system of equations mechanics problem?

To solve a system of equations mechanics problem, you can use various techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The first step is to identify the unknown variables and the given equations. Then, you can use one of the aforementioned methods to solve for the variables and check your answer by plugging it back into the equations.

3. What are the different types of systems of equations mechanics problems?

There are two main types of systems of equations mechanics problems: statics and dynamics. Statics problems involve stationary objects and the forces acting on them, while dynamics problems involve moving objects and the forces that cause their motion. Both types of problems can be solved using a system of equations.

4. Can a system of equations mechanics problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations mechanics problem can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple sets of values for the variables that satisfy all of the given equations. In some cases, these solutions may be unique, while in others, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a system of equations mechanics problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging the values of the variables back into the given equations and seeing if they satisfy all of them. If the values do not satisfy one or more equations, then your solution is incorrect. Additionally, you can also solve the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer, which can serve as a form of validation.