Solution of System of Equations: [Lambda] = 3/(2x)

In summary: find the min/max:f(x,y,z)=3x+2y+4z with constraint equation x^2+2y^2+6z^2=1x=+/-sqrt(27/41) with constraint equation x^2+2y^2+6z^2=1y=+/-sqrt(27/41) with constraint equation y^2+6y^2=1z=+/-sqrt(27/41) with constraint equation z^2+6z^2=1
snoggerT
[lambda]=3/(2x) = 1/(2y) = 1/(3z) with constraint eq. x^2+2y^2+6z^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

- I can't figure out how to solve this system of equations. Can somebody please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is [tex]\lambda[/tex] supposed to be constant? If so, then it appears simple. Just Express x,y,z in terms of lambda, substitute it into the constraint equation and solve for lambda.

Defennder said:
Is [tex]\lambda[/tex] supposed to be constant? If so, then it appears simple. Just Express x,y,z in terms of lambda, substitute it into the constraint equation and solve for lambda.

- yeah, that's way simpler than I was making it. So I would take lambda and plug back into find my x, y, z, right?

Yes that's right.

Defennder said:
Yes that's right.

- so I get lambda to be +/- sqrt(41/12), which can be reduced to +/- 1/2*sqrt(41/3), but that gets somewhat ugly when plugging back into find my x,y,z. I'm trying to find the min/max on this problem, so I have to find my x,y,z to plug back into the f(x,y,z) function. Is there any way to simplify things further?

Wait wait! You're solving for lambda?

[tex]\lambda=\frac{3}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{1}{2y}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{1}{3z}[/tex]

Set them equal to each other so that you have y = ... in terms of x and z = ... in terms of x so you can plug it back into your equation to solve for x.

Last edited:
rocomath said:
Wait wait! You're solving for lambda?

[tex]\lambda=\frac{3}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{1}{2y}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{1}{3z}[/tex]

Set them equal to each other so that you have y = ... in terms of x and z = ... in terms of x so you can plug it back into your equation to solve for x.

- so I get +/- sqrt(27/41) for x, is that right?

snoggerT said:
- so I get +/- sqrt(27/41) for x, is that right?
Hmm, what did you do?

rocomath said:
Hmm, what did you do?

- I set 3/(2x)= 1/(2y) and got y in terms of x and did the same for z. then plugged into the constraint equation and solved for x. I'm guessing I did it wrong though.

[tex]y=\frac x 3[/tex]

[tex]z=\frac 2 9 x[/tex]

rocomath said:
[tex]y=\frac x 3[/tex]

[tex]z=\frac 2 9 x[/tex]

- that's what I got for y and z, so I must of done something wrong with my algebra in the constraint equation. Let me work it again.

I still get x=+/- sqrt(27/41). So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is how I'm setting the problem up:

x^2+2(x/3)^2+6(2x/9)^2=1

This is a lagrange multiplier problem isn't it? Can you state the original problem?

Dick said:
This is a lagrange multiplier problem isn't it? Can you state the original problem?

- sure. I probably need to start over anyways because I think I'm just confusing myself.

find the min/max:

f(x,y,z)=3x+2y+4z with constraint equation x^2+2y^2+6z^2=1

Ok, I think you are on completely the right track. lambda^2=12/41 is what I get too. And yes, x=+/-sqrt(27/41). I'll admit the numbers aren't that pretty. But I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Just keep on doing it.

Last edited:

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. How do you solve a system of equations?

There are a few different methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the others.

3. What is lambda in the equation [Lambda] = 3/(2x)?

Lambda (λ) is a variable that represents a constant value in the equation. It is often used in mathematical formulas to represent a specific value or parameter.

4. How do you find the value of lambda in this equation?

To find the value of lambda, you would need to solve for x first and then substitute that value back into the original equation. The resulting value for lambda would depend on the value of x that you solve for.

5. Can you use this equation to solve for multiple variables?

No, this equation only has one variable (x) and one constant (lambda), so it can only be used to solve for one variable. To solve for multiple variables, you would need a system of equations with at least the same number of equations as variables.