1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Equations

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    Hi! I'm trying to solve an equation system [tex]\vec{\pi}\mathbb{P} = \vec{\pi}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{\pi} = (\pi_1, \pi_2, \pi_3, \pi_4, \pi_5)[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{P}[/tex] is a 5x5 matrix (constants). The problem is that the equation system is a bit to large to handle, at least for me. I remember that linear equation systems can be solved [tex]\mathbb{X}\vec{v} = \mathbb{Y} \Rightarrow \vec{v} = \mathbb{X}^{-1}\mathbb{Y}[/tex]. Is there anything similiar I can use to solve this system? Or can I solve it using maple or matlab?

Thanks in advance,
    Nille

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2
    hi,
    I am not sure whether i have correctly understood your problem.
    I think u will be able to solve the system of equation iteratively.
    consider,
    Ax=b
    where A is the constant 5 * 5 matrix, x is the variable vector(5 * 1) which you want to find out and b is again a constant vector(5 * 1).
    The above equation can be written as,

(A+I - I)x = b, where I is the identity matrix.
    simplifying we get,
    x = (A+I)x -b.
    Hence x(k+1) = (A+I)x(k) - b, where k is the iteration number.
    One can start with some approximate value of the vector x at k=0.

If you are trying to solve something like:
    Ax = x
    this is equivalent to finding the eigen vector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 for the matrix A.
    May be this might help you.
    In matlab there is a 'eig' command which gives you all the eigenvectors and eigen values of matrix.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?